• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

500/835 Hammer Pin Issues

Drew

Copper BB
I have a pretty new 835 that has the classic 500 / 835 type trigger assembly.

My shotgun is a few years old, but I don't shoot it much, so really is a pretty young shotgun.

I had a problem on a recent duck hunt where it would fire with no issue, however, after firing, the bolt action would not unlock allowing me to chamber the next round. I would have to manually press the unlock button just behind the trigger to eject use shell/chamber the next shell. No jamming or other issues.

I'm pretty sure I was able to identify the issue with the hammer. The hammer has 2 small pressed pins in it that seemingly should never be able to be removed. One of these pins had slid out about 1/8" from flush and was snagging on the chamber lock mechanism not allowing it to fully drop on its own after fire.

I was with hardly no pressure at all able to push the pin back flush and the issue went right away. My concern is this: It seems like that pin isn't being held as tight as it should be. Part of me is thinking of dabbing a little drop of liquid JB Weld there to keep the pin in place (and sand it smooth), but I'm hesitant to do something like that.

I've read around and found threads where people have the same symptoms that I was describing, but none of them have a fix beyond pushing the pin back in. I don't want this problem to happen again mid hunt as it requires more disassembly than I want to do in the field. Does anyone have any suggestions???

Thanks!

500 hammer.jpg

This is the pin I'm referring to. As far as I can tell, this is intended to never be removed.

I don't know why that is there.

I'd just drive both of them out and be done with them.

no can do. 100% sure one of the two (and I think it is the one circled) is what the arm clips onto that pushes onto the large spring that forces the hammer up when the trigger is pulled. No pin, no hammer drop when trigger pulled........i think.

Mossberg may replace it if you contact them.

Those two pins are the mainspring guide pins. See pic,,,,,,,, I would not remove them.

500 2.gif

Just called mossberg. They said that since the shogun is still under limited warranty, to send it to them and they will take a look for free and fix whatever needed for free too. All I'm out is shipping.

I'll send it to them and see what they find.

Back