• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

500 Bantam 12 gauge

Underdog

Premier Member
Just ordered a 500 Bantam #52132 it's a 12 gauge and has a wood stock and 24" barrel. The barrel will be removed promptly and replaced with a mossberg 20" vent ribbed barrel with removable chokes that I have on hand. The bantam's 13" LOP stocks fit me perfectly, as I have a 20 gauge now. I also have a prefit Limbsaver #10002 that fits the bantam stock perfectly that will be going on as soon as I get it. It should make a real nice range toy and HD gun, I'm looking forward to it.

Well, congrats !! ...I'll be looking forward to all the pictures !! ;)

Well I received the bantam the other day, very nice looking gun. I hate to say it but I'm having nothing but problems with it so far. The slide tube and or forearm are binding when the action is pulled back fully and it's not so easy to free up once in this position. I took the gun completly apart and cleaned and lubed it and reassembled it, same problem. When the barrel is removed the gun cycles fine, but when the barrel is mounted the forearm binds up. Now this gun has the very short slide tube since it is the bantam model, I've never seen one this short but it should still function fine. I tried another barrel and the same thing, binding up. So I took it to the range and figured maybe it would function better if I ran a box or two of ammo throught it. It's getting better but no where near where it should be, some material needs to be removed somewhere between the barrel and slide tube. And to top it off it's dropping shells out of the magazine tube during cycling, this very well could be because the slide isn't being cycled correctly due to binding. I'm not returning the gun to mossberg, I'm going to fix it myself if I can. I'm debating on trying to remove some material with a dremel if I could find out where it's rubbing, problem is there are no visable marks. I have a spare 7 5/8 tube and forearm, I'm going to try and mount that and see if it functions fine and give mossberg a call and ask for some new parts.

Had a similar problem after swapping fore-ends on my 835. The fore-end was binding against the barrel. I use a die-grinder, trimming out the fore-end where it rubbed and the problem was gone. Take a small feeler gauge and try to slide it between the fore-end and the barrel to see where it is binding.

Update, I replaced the forearm and slide tube assembly with one I had on hand and the gun functions fine. I use a hogue forearm and a 7 5/8 slide tube, so the stock parts are bad. Either the wood forearm is not shaped correctly or the slide tube is bad. I tried to call Mossberg but they were closed until Tuedsay for the holiday.

Nasa, thanks for the reply. I'm going to give the forearm a closer look and see If I can remove some material with my dremel.

Nasa, that was the problem. Slowly but surely I removed material from the inside of the forearm until it fits correctly. It needed trimming in several different places, but now functions fine. Mossberg must have gotten a bad batch of bantam forends so other customes might be having the same problem as me. I'm still going to call them when they reopen and explain my problem, maybe with a little luck they will send me a new forearm. Thanks for your help and quick reply... :D

Took it back to the range and it's still not functioning right. The slide tube or forearm is either hitting the barrel or receiver, I cant find out what it is and I removed a bunch of material from the inside of the forearm. It's just not functioning right causing it to drop shells. If I use a different forearm and 7 5/8" action tube it functions fine. Mossberg's going to have to make this one right.

Back