• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

500 barrel lug importance

Komodoj

.270 WIN
Out of curiosity. How important is the silver solder or brazing job of a barrel lug? Is it a heavy pressure item? Since when In battery the bolt lug locks in the reciever recess is there a lot riding on the barrel lug? If there is not a “significant” hold will the barrel fly off? What says the hive. Thank you in advance.

I think I see where you are going.. I don’t know much about gun mechanics, but I know the barrel on my shockwave is removable when the bolt mechanism(?) is half way across the ejection port. Without the barrel lug being tightened onto the mag tube, it will simply fall out of the receiver at almost any downward angle. They make two piece barrel clamps that just bolt together but if you have a tapered barrel back where you might cut it, the clamp would need a bit of grinding to fit. The one I have for one of my projects works good, clamps tight and has been modded quite a bit. (180* adjustable front grip, clamped to the slide tube instead of the barrel.) or you could just cut and weld the lug on farther back.

Placement doesn’t matter. Just trying to figure out during battery how important is the lug. Thank you.
I guess I would liken an unsupported barrel to ringing a bell. The repeated shock and vibration will eventually cause stress cracking and or major weakening.

I guess I would liken an unsupported barrel to ringing a bell. The repeated shock and vibration will eventually cause stress cracking and or major weakening.
Well I did my own recon just now. The barrel will come forward when in battery so the lug and barrel nut will have to be 100% reliable or the barrel will come out with the bolt assembly.

Placement doesn’t matter. Just trying to figure out during battery how important is the lug. Thank you.

I guess a "you're welcome" is in order. I was only trying to help nail down your question and help you find a solution. Because I have never seen soldered barrel lugs before so I wanted you to help me.

I guess a "you're welcome" is in order. I was only trying to help nail down your question and help you find a solution. Because I have never seen soldered barrel lugs before so I wanted you to help me.
If your welcome is what will make you feel better than, thank you. Just an fyi probably 99% of all barrel lugs on shotguns are high heat silver soldered! Maybe I read your post wrong. I thought you were asking me where “My” lug is soldered. You are actually asking where would one find a soldered barrel lug on a shotgun? Sorry for the confusion.

Being an ex welder, I would have thought that that was how it’s done, but, I’ll be damned, silver solder is the preferred method, with even a cursory glance at the interwebs. Thanks man, I guess I can learn something new occasionally. Lol of course you could just figure eight that sucker and have a removable lug, snug on the barrel, nutted to the mag tube end…lol

Being an ex welder, I would have thought that that was how it’s done, but, I’ll be damned, silver solder is the preferred method, with even a cursory glance at the interwebs.

The heat of welding a chunk of metal that thick would certainly introduce excessive heat into the barrel, warping it. Solder is great for an application like this because the heat can be lower and you don't have to worry if the metals are dissimilar.

Yeah, I had to look it up. I wasn’t sure how the lugs are attached. I didn’t see a weld bead on mine but I have on pics of the Serbu super shorty. TIG in that case. I found it interesting, for sure. I’m assuming that because Komodo has a manufacturing license, he is looking into all aspects so that he can build his own customs. And as was mentioned, I would just machine a tapered sleeve to fit the barrel and utilize the barrel nut to lock it in place, could even thread the sleeve to support any number of optics and sights without ever compromising barrel integrity with drill holes or the like.

Back