• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

500 Bolt/Slide Cycle Issue

Winging It

Copper BB
I recently purchased a pre-owned 500A for use as a trap/skeet/clays gun. The first time out there were issues with the operation and cycling in that after firing the gun would jam and not allow the slide to operate and the only way to extract/eject the spent shell was to bang the stock on the ground with enough force to cycle the action. I was also having repeated failure to fire problems.

I initially thought it was a rough chamber/fire forming issue as I was shooting a relatively hot load (1 1/4 oz of #8 at 1290 fps and the problem seemed to mitigate when I shot a less hot load but didn't go away completely.

I have a 590 in the gun vault and switched the bolt/slide which fixed the problem and have since obtained and installed a new bolt/slide on the 500 and all appears to be well, however I noticed that intermittently after firing but before cycling the shell has backed out of the chamber slightly exposing about a 1/8 in. of the shell base. The extractors are gripping and the gun cycles fine but my concern is that it may not be locking up completely.

Any ideas?

Back