• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

500 Flex and ATI Tactical Shotgun Ultimate Pro Stock

So my wife bought me a new 500 Flex and the ATI Tactical Shotgun Ultimate Professional Stock package with Scorpion recoil system. Gotta love her. The problem lay in the fact that the stock of the 500 does not remove like the older models do, is there a way to make this work or am I sending back what was going to be a very nice gift (the stock obviously I am keeping the Mossberg)

You can remove the FLEX stocks system from your 500. I have not done it personally but let me try to dig up the directions.

DHonovich said:
You can remove the FLEX stocks system from your 500. I have not done it personally but let me try to dig up the directions.

Any help would be greatly appreciated I would hate to have to return the Stock

As I understand it, the Flex adapter threads into the receiver using a single bolt, just like a standard stock.

With the stock removed you should see the bolt. Remove that bolt, and the entire Flex adapter should come off. Then all you need is a standard stock bolt if the ATI stock didn't come with one...

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
As I understand it, the Flex adapter threads into the receiver using a single bolt, just like a standard stock.

With the stock removed you should see the bolt. Remove that bolt, and the entire Flex adapter should come off. Then all you need is a standard stock bolt if the ATI stock didn't come with one...

Thanks I will look to see if I can remove it. Appreciate the help

After looking I see no bolt that would allow me to remove the Flex adapter. I will post a photo later of what the "receiver" end of the flex adapter looks like

20130210_151706.jpg

This is a side view does that "pin" look like it could be removed?

20130210_151640.jpg

Another view of the pin looking down towards receiver (I see no bolt)

20130210_151855.jpg

This looks like a hex bolt and I may be able to remove this

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
You might PM member 'stigmata'.

He's been involved in conversations with Mossberg and I believe was the individual that relayed the information about removing the Flex adapter. Here's one of his Flex threads...

New accessories for the FLEX 590 arrived

Saw his other thread in regards to his 590 and he did advise that I should be able to remove the pin and screw seen above thanks for all the help

Yes Sir, I just saw you two working it out in the ATI thread.

Bottom line, the Flex models use the same receiver as all the rest of 'em. If Mossberg can put in in there, we should be able to get it out. Keep us posted...

If you break down the gun you can see the end of the bolt holding the flex adapter to the receiver inside the receiver. Those rolled pins should just tap out with a small brass punch, then that small allen holding the flex "latch," then you should see the head of the bolt holding the flex adapter to the receiver. I haven't done this yet, but it looks pretty straightforward. Having goofed around with rolled pins before, you might try to source a couple of those if you need to put everything back on because they can get loose if you tap them in and out more than a couple times. I'm looking forward to seeing how this goes....please post pics.

"Bolt holding the adapter is in the receiver." Those sneaky devils, that is how they did it. They went through the back door.

Frank

Frank Castle said:
"Bolt holding the adapter is in the receiver." Those sneaky devils, that is how they did it. They went through the back door.

Frank

I was going to say, try removing the trigger assembly and looking in through the receiver lol

You can see the bottom of the bolt from inside the receiver...the head of the bolt is behind the flex "latch"....the bolt goes from outside in.

If you could post some pictures it would be appreciated! It would help the rest of us in future situations help others conquer this situation lol

I had my doubts at first about the FLEX system, however, if you can successfully remove the adapter with minimal effort it could still prove to be friendly to people that want to modify their shotgun.

If you could post some pictures it would be appreciated! It would help the rest of us in future situations help others conquer this situation lol

I will post pics and possibly a how to video if I can get it all apart.

New guy, just bought mine today! Would like a solid answer on this. Is it really as simple as removing the flex adapter and then all third party stocks for the 500 would fit? Thanks and I'm thankful for this site as a resource!

I amgoing to take my shot at this, this weekend that way if I should need any help I can pop in here

Also heard from ATI today who "confirm" that this can be done. Confirm in quotes because they couldn't tell me how only that it was possible

I can confirm, after removing my flex adapter and installing a standard stock, and after speaking with mossberg tech support, that the following steps are necessary.

1. Unloaded. Safety on.

2. Remove whatever flex stock is on there.

3. Using a 1/8" punch, awl, or screwdriver and a hammer/mallet - push the horizontal rolled pin out of the adapter using as little violent force as possible. The pin you removed is what held the vertical key housing in place.

4. Slide the vertical key housing out of it's seat. You can now see the standard stock screw head that requires a standard Allen driver. It will require some leverage to remove.

5. Using the appropriate size Allen driver and as little force as possible, remove the stock screw.

Stick your adapter in a plastic baggy for replacement whenever mossberg or a third party comes out with desired flex stock...because the whole thing really is a great idea. Attach your replacement stock following standard 500 instructions.

tehPubez said:
I can confirm, after removing my flex adapter and installing a standard stock, and after speaking with mossberg tech support, that the following steps are necessary.

1. Unloaded. Safety on.

2. Remove whatever flex stock is on there.

3. Using a 1/8" punch, awl, or screwdriver and a hammer/mallet - push the horizontal rolled pin out of the adapter using as little violent force as possible. The pin you removed is what held the vertical key housing in place.

4. Slide the vertical key housing out of it's seat. You can now see the standard stock screw head that requires a standard Allen driver. It will require some leverage to remove.

5. Using the appropriate size Allen driver and as little force as possible, remove the stock screw.

Stick your adapter in a plastic baggy for replacement whenever mossberg or a third party comes out with desired flex stock...because the whole thing really is a great idea. Attach your replacement stock following standard 500 instructions.

tehPubez,

Great job. Thanks for sharing.

Frank

Anyone who owns a FLEX 500 should recognize these parts.

IMG_20130216_144826.jpg

the pin punched out with a little work the "flex" adapter came out with a little more work, apparently Mossberg when this weapon was assembled added loc tite to the threads. But it eventually came out.

I was going to do a video but I do not have any proper equipment and my son shakes worse than I do so....no video

Back