• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

500 mag tube on a 590?

mikeyboy

Copper BB
I'm in the process of buying a "Tactical/Home Defense" shotgun. Its either going to be an 8 shot Mossberg 500 Persuader and maybe add on the Mossberg Ghost Ring sights in the future or just get a 9 shot 590 with the ghost ring already attached. Its only about $110 difference in price here but I figured out that if you factor in the cost of buying the Ghost Rings separate the price between the two are so close it really doesn't matter.

The one thing that is holding me back is if I decide one day to convert this tactical shotgun into a hunting shotgun, I know with the 500 I could get a 5 round magazine tube/spring and then slap on any Mossberg 500 hunting barrel I need.

I know the mag tube and caps are different setup on the 590, and there are no 590 hunting barrels however will a 500 barrel and Mag tube screw into a 590 receiver just like they do on a 500?

The receivers are the same, so yes, the 500 mag tube and barrel will work with a 590 receiver.

As far as adding the GRS later, keep in mind that the front sight post is silver soldered to the barrel so you'll need to figure the cost of the gunsmithing into the equation. Also, an extra barrel complete with factory GRS will only run you about $150 compared to your estimate of $110 just for the GRS kit.

The simplest solution would be to buy a 6-shot 590A1 with factory GRS (model #51517). This would allow you to add a mag tube extension to increase your capacity AND use any of the model 835 hunting barrels all while using the same mag tube. It'd be the best of both worlds with fewer moving pieces...

I totally agree with what LES said. In fact was going to suggest the samething. The only thing with 835 barrels, they're over bored to 10 ga dimensions and a slug can not be fired through them so if you think you'll ever be slug hunting, you'll need the 835 slug barrel for sabot slugs, or use the 590 barrel with the rifled slugs. Though the rifled barrel will give greater long range accuracy.

Back