• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

500 Persuader for home defense

j03j03

Copper BB
Hey all! First off, I love the site! I've been trolling for a couple weeks trying to find the information I want, but to no avail, so here I am!
I am new to shotguns, so please forgive me if my terminology is wrong.
I recently bought a 500 Persuader for home defense. 12 ga. 20 in. barrel with the 8 shot tube. I don't care for the pistol grip it came with so I'm looking for an aftermarket Forgrip and tact stock. I also want to put a reflex or red dot on it. These are what I'm thinking of:

http://www.blackhawk.com/product/Talon- ... 14,165.htm

Or,

http://www.atigunstocks.com/mossberg-ta ... rend-.html
Will this work and will I need to get the nut wrench with it?

What sights do y'all recommend? I don't mind spending a few $$, just as long as it lasts!

Last but not least, what weapon light do you guys like? I'm a surefire fan myself, but I don't know what holds up the best under the 12 gauge recoil.

Sorry for the long post! Thanks everyone for your help!

Welcome to the forum from NY and congrats on your new Mossy. You get a chance post a pic or two.

As far as the tactical stocks go look right here in our vendors section. They will be able to answer all your questions.

Also I'm sure other members will be able to help you also.

I have the original ATI pistol grip/AR butt stock combination and it works great for me. Buddy of mine bought that newer ATI version and I have to admit the grip is more comfy. I don't see a need to replace what works for me already but if were in the market for something that newer ATI Talon setup is good 2 go. I tried the Streamlight poly tac with their mag tube clamp on my 500 and while it works I didn't like the setup too much. The mag tube clamp is good 2 go. I just wasn't impressed with the Polytac for this purpose. It really is a hand held light as they intended it to be. No big loss, I just have another nice flashlight handy now.

I recently bought the TLR1 HL as the replacement but its residing on my new FNP 9 handgun now. I'm afraid I'm going to have to pickup another TLR for my 500. For the brief period I had it on there I liked it alot. I think your on the right track here. Same buddy that has the Talon setup went with the Laserlyte mount clamp and what I liked about it was he can mount it in tandem where the heat shield mount holes are. This puts the light mounted on his closer to the forend. Both clamps are solid. I'm only considering ditching the Streamlight clamp as it had to be forward of the heat shield mounting nuts/bolts. For me this puts it just a touch to far forward to reach any light comfortably. If you have longer arms it might be fine for you. YMMV as usual.

Good luck with this setup and expect you might have to do a lil trial and error till you find what will work best for your situation.

Thanks for the quick replies! I'll get some pics up soon.
I borrowed a couple clamps from my brother, but couldn't quite get either setup to where it was comfortable to use. Hence why I wanted to go forgrip mounted. I'll have to look into the TRL1 though!

ATIgunstocksUSA said:
Hey j03j03, nice purchase and welcome to the forum - Let us know if you have any questions!

FYI - All forum members save 10% at http://www.ATIgunstocks.com

Well, that answers that! Looks like I'll be ordering the ATI stock tonight! Any idea if the nut wrench ATI offers work with the 8 shot tube?

j03j03 said:
[quote="Well, that answers that! Looks like I'll be ordering the ATI stock tonight! Any idea if the nut wrench ATI offers work with the 8 shot tube?

It sure will j03j03, it's an aluminum mag-socket wrench that's hollow so it will slide over any tube.

ATIgunstocksUSA said:
It sure will j03j03, it's an aluminum mag-socket wrench that's hollow so it will slide over any tube.

Very good, ordered the socket too.

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
I have ATI's mag socket wrench and it's been a very useful tool...

Thanks for letting me know. I couldn't find much feedback on it. Nice to have a first hand account!

Everything is on its way! Feb. 4 is the delivery date, and it can't get here soon enough!

Back