• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

500 stored cocked or de cocked?

kurtis

Ok so Ive looked and searched, I even read the manual but theres little information. Ive never dry fired my 500s to relive the firing pin spring for storage. What is the proper way of storing these things or does it even matter? Im not trying to start a debate, this might be a non issue.

The reason I ask is some shotguns in my safe will sit for years without being fired. One on my wall has been there at least 3 years and hasn't been fired, I know that there not drop safe so lately Ive stored my HD gun on an empty chamber in "cruiser ready".

from the little information I collected reliving the firing pin for storage is a method taught in the good ol days (when I wasn't even born) and not taught now.

I tend to dry fire them to relive pressure on the springs if I am storing them unloaded in the safe.

Me too Mike.

Main reason being, umpteen years from now, that hammer spring is not going to be as strong as it is now while it's new. So, relieving the unnecessary tension while in long term storage, will help you in the long run.

It sucks when you really need a gun to fire and all you hear is click because the hammer spring is too weak to fire off a primer.

It never dawned on me that the firing pin was under tension until I was in deep thought last night. I'm so use to striker fired pistols that it slipped my mind.

I'll keep them de cocked, I do have a 500 from the early 80s that was probably never decocked while storing and it functions fine but the spring is probably not as strong as it could be.

It's not really the spring on the firing pin that goes weak. It's the spring that moves the hammer.

It's hard to imagine owning a 500 and never having "dry fired" it.
Mine is stored with 3 in the magazine (5 shot model) to relieve the mag spring a little, breech empty and dry fired.

Back