• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

500 Thunder Ranch input

agent1138

Copper BB
So I recently purchased the 500 Home Defense/Field combo from Cabela's but just ran across the 500 Thunder Ranch edition. It's almost the same gun but has the addition of the tri-rail forend, sling, fiber front sight and cool logo.

So my question is this, would you buy the Thunder Ranch version and sell the regular one? I found one for $384 shipped (plus $20 transfer fee).

Thanks!

Thats about on par for the price they are new. Is this a new gun or already owned by someone?

I think cheapest I saw ever was Buds selling em at 360ish at one point. Many in the upper 300 to lower 400 range. If you really like the additional features it offers vs the one you have now I say go for it. If you keep the one you have now you can always add on those types of features as you can afford it as another option.

The only real difference in the thunder ranch you forgot to mention was the breacher muzzled barrel. A good friend of mine added one of those types of barrels to his Remington 870. Looks cool and all that but most likely will never be used in the role its intended for us average folk. I'd rather spend the extra coin on something else more practical, probably towards more ammo if it were me instead of the breacher barrel muzzle which I see is the only real obvious feature difference with the TR version over a standard 500. Just my 2 cents.

Thanks. The 500 I have has the breacher barrel. It's almost the same as the Thunder Ranch minus those features I already specified. I was already planning in buying a replacement forend anyway but I like the fiber front sight, short stock and logo on the side (that's something different and unique).

My 500 is brand spanking new and is my first shotgun. I see the 20th Anniversary Thunder Ranch models going for over $400. The one I'm looking at is new but it's a 2012 model.

Do you think I'll have any issues selling the 500? What's a fair price? $325-$350?

I see. In that case go for it if you really want the logo then. :D

You will not have any issue selling your current 500 most likely. Does the seller of this Thunder Ranch you found do trades of any kind? Can't hurt to ask.

Best of luck with your decision.

Every 500 is distinctly different and it all depends on personal preference :)
Some of us may have bought it, some of us may have not.. but in the end....... We ALL have changed something on the 500/590 to suit our needs, wants, and "cool factor" haha If you want to sell it and buy another in stead of changing things around, that is ultimately going to be your choice. Are the features of the other 500 more what you are looking for? Do they fit the rule you want them too?? BUT most of all.....

"Do what is going to make YOU happy and what YOU want!"

It's the best advice I have ever been given and it has made me the happiest with my 500! I am still changing things almost on a monthly basis

Here's my thinking: In addition to the cool factor and extra features of the Thunder Ranch version, it might command a slightly higher premium if I ever decide to sell it.

Love the quote, it's a good creed to live by. Just wanted to get input from others who may have been in this same situation or others who know more about that edition.

Still not sure what I'm going to do. The place has 3-4 of these still in stock. Was hoping for a free shipping holiday special but that didn't happen.

agent1138 said:
Here's my thinking: In addition... the Thunder Ranch version, might command a slightly higher premium if I ever decide to sell it.

Just something to consider, right now the zombie craze is dying off and the Tactical/Tacti-cool craze is slowing down. Everything is becoming a little more "realistic" and "practical" if I may put it that way. So one must really consider what you can say those features are good for and how they add to the "cool factor". Might save you a few bucks or a headache in the future :)

My $.02...

You've got a lot more shotgun already in the HD/Field combo. The fancy logo doesn't change the fact that your current set-up will simply do more for you as far as function goes. You can pick up the FAB Defense PR-MO tri rail forend for around $50 and turn your current HD set-up into the same shotgun as the Thunder Ranch, just without the logo and breacher tip. Then, you still have the ability to switch out to the field barrel as needed. You can get a sling swivel and stud at WalMart for a couple bucks and then add the sling of your choice. Of course it's all about what makes you happy, but you've already got the one I would choose...

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
...The fancy logo doesn't change the fact that your current set-up will simply do more for you as far as function goes....

I couldn't agree more on this aspect

Thanks guys. I appreciate all the input. I think I'm gonna just keep her then and get the Magpul furniture when it finally comes out.

agent1138 said:
Here's my thinking: In addition to the cool factor and extra features of the Thunder Ranch version, it might command a slightly higher premium if I ever decide to sell it.
Don't make a decision based on that. In all likelyhood, the premium will be minimal unless you hold it for a hundred years or so.

Jeff

agent1138 said:
Thanks, I did. It wouldn't let me reply though. Guess I'm too new around here.

Awe, I forgot about that, sorry... 10 posts and you can reply! 4 more and you are golden :lol:

I think Jeff nailed in right on the head with his thoughts. To me all I see is just a slightly dolled up model 500 and would treat it as such for any consideration if I were interested in it. The Thunder Ranch logo is probably going to only appeal to a very small percentage of folks who "might" be willing to pay a lil extra for it.

If logos are your thing you can always strip any receiver down and send it somewhere for one. Orion Arms is one such example. That way you can totally customize it the way you want it be.

http://www.orion-arms.com/

This is where I give my best advice, just buy 2 of them. :lol: Allows you to leave one intact and at the ready for 24/7 HD duty. Then you can afford to follow Ricmo's advice (I also think alike) and reaccessorize the other one once a week and not worry about your primary defense gun being out of service when you needed it most. So buy the thunder ranch model because you know you want it and then experiment with your other one.

Just food for thought. FYI, theres this thing AR guys call black rifle disease. Its got several variants including a Mossberg strain as well lol. :D One seems to multiply into many. You've been warned.

Back