• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

500 trigger group

riverfront

Copper BB
Need a little help picked up a 500 with no furniture and a trigger group that falls out (got it cheap).
been thinking pistol grip collapsible stock for it but as we all know the safety is pain in the ass with a pistol grip. looking around I find a trigger group for a Maverick 88 and the wheels start to turn.

SO I ask the group will the Maverick 88 trigger group fit and work in a 500?

Thanks in advance
RF

First, welcome to the site riverfront!

I don't think maverick trigger group would work on a 500 receiver due to the safeties being different. On an 88 it's a crossbolt safety, the 500 has the tang mounted one. Now that being said, I'm not entirely sure that it couldn't, as the crossbolt might work independently of the tang safety on the receiver. Is the trigger group falling out because the plastic is worn toward the front of the trigger guard? I've seen a few people post fixes to this, including some simple JB weld to beef the area up. Some pictures would help a lot!

Plastic wear is the culprit to my understanding I would give some picture but won't get it picked up till next week. Apparently its an old police trade in from the bottom of the barrel, I was told of a broken safety, broken buttstock and a few other miscellaneous problems with it but for the $50 it worth it. for the short barrel alone all the better if I can make it working shotgun. The crossbolt safety is exactly what I want if I'm going to add a pistol grip stock to it.

If you can find someone with an 88 that you know, I'd ask if you could try and fit it. Without acutally having the two trigger groups to compare.. I'm really just guessing at it here. I'm sure someone else will chime in on the matter. But it's definetly worth trying. Havlin Sales has a good selection of standard stocks and parts if you're looking for a source! Midway and Brownells of course stock a bunch as well.

riverfront said:
SO I ask the group will the Maverick 88 trigger group fit and work in a 500?
No.

Jeff

Sent from my Droid. Spelling errors are the phone. Logic errors probably aren't...

i might be wrong,,,,,but from what i have read and seen after searching around the mav 88 trigger group should fit the 500. looking at it i'd say the 500 safety needs to come off.
like i said,,might just work.
i would go to a gunsmitty and ask for sure.
here are some pics of both,,,,

Attachments

• 500 2.jpg
    500 2.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 273
  • 500 3.jpg
    500 3.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 273
  • mav 1.JPG
    mav 1.JPG
    8.6 KB · Views: 273
heres the other mav88

Attachments

• mav 2.JPG
    mav 2.JPG
    9.9 KB · Views: 272
The differences between the 500 and the 88 are the fore-end, although after 1997 they're the same, and the safety. Because the Maverick 88 uses a crossbolt safety, the trigger group does not interchange with a Mossberg 500 which uses a tang safety.

The original issue is that the OP's Moss 500 trigger group "falls out." Not sure exactly what that description means, but a repair to the existing trigger group or gun should fix that, no need to swap an entire new trigger group anyway. If you must replace the entire group, Brownell's has them for under $100 and I'm sure other suppliers likely do to.

Another option is to buy a new Maverick 88 at Walmart for $200 and swap the tactical barrel/fore-end/magazine with the Mossberg he has. Then a tactical stock like the Phoenix KickLite and he's good.

Jeff

The Mav88 trigger groups should fit your 500 with no problem. Some people actually swap out the trigger groups when doing tactical builds so they don't have to move their hand from the Pistol grip to actuate the tang safety. Same receiver, same internals, same barrels... stocks and sometimes forends... chances are SAME trigger group just not a tang safety.

I'm intrigued now... we don't have any one on MO.com that owns a Mav88 and a 500 and could give this a try?

This post is just so I dont lose track of it.
I would love to find out if they are interchangeable easily. :D

Interesting. I did not think they were swappable

Sent from my Mossberg 930 using Tapatalk2

lol That is true, I don't believe anyone here does have both. Like I said... Everything is the exact same, but one is made in Mexico and the Other in the USA. The Maverick sometimes has a pinned forend but now so do some M500 models. I do not see why the Mav88 trigger assembly wouldn't work. Someone send me theirs (on loan) and I will gladly test and report :D

my paypal is aksavanaman.... make sure it's a gift though, lets not give ebay any more money than we have to! :lol:

riverfront said:
I had no idea no one had tried this on here before.

Not that, no one here has both firearms to try it for you lol I can promise it's been tried and the results just haven't been found yet... google time.

Back