• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

500 trigger group

Well I did a quick google search before I posted and the only thing I found talked about Mossberg in a Maverick and a total lack of safety. Which is not what I'm after, I just want an easy to access safety when using a pistol grip stock, if its not possible I'll just grab a 12" L.O.P. Houge.

Well look at it this way. If the Mossberg 500 works in the Maverick... the Maverick will work in the Mossberg :) AND the Safety will work out perfectly fine. The cross bar safety doesn't rely on the 500 tang at all.

Itsricmo said:
Well look at it this way. If the Mossberg 500 works in the Maverick... the Maverick will work in the Mossberg :) AND the Safety will work out perfectly fine. The cross bar safety doesn't rely on the 500 tang at all.

What he said! But when you do end up frankensteining this together and it works, updates would be fantastic! :)

Updates for sure!!! We could add it too the list of modifications that are safe to do on a 500. Would solve a lot of the worries about not being able to actuate the safety with Pistol Grips

Itsricmo said:
lol Everything is the exact same, but one is made in Mexico and the Other in the USA.

Thats not exactly true any longer. There are plenty of Mexican parts now in the New Haven guns as well. More and more of the manufacturing of non receiver parts on Mossberg branded firearms have been farmed out to the Torreon Mexico / Eagle Pass Texas arrangement. Most of the parts are made on the other side of the border. Shipped here to Texas. New Haven receivers come from New Haven. Maverick Arms puts it all together. Maverick Arms is Mossberg for the most part these days. Wether its stamped Mossberg or Maverick chances are it was assembled these days here in Texas. As I understand it New Haven's operations are much quieter these days.

Thats NAFTA for ya ;)

Fender Guitar does the same thing. Alot of their product now is either made wholly in Mexico and labeled as such or a large chunk of their "USA" series are partially constructed on the Mexico side of the border. As long as a majority of the the assembly process is here in the states (US law, 51%) they can label it "Made in the USA". So they cut and paint the wood over there to avoid the EPA hound dogs for the bulk of their core production line product but assemble it here. Slap USA on it and call it a day. Only the custom shop stuff is done 100 percent in house here stateside and the price reflects.

Anyhow, doesn't make either company a bad product. Just the way of international global business these days. Most domestic car companies have been doing this for years too. Everyone wants stuff as cheap as possible so it gets farmed out. Its just how its done today.

Sorry for the slight thread derail.

Even if the Maverick and 500 trigger groups interchange which they don't you would wind up having two safeties on one and zero on the other. :shock: Unless theres some serious modification I'm unaware of I just don't see a trigger swap. Sorry guy.

Assuming they did swap easily.....................

Where ultimately your finger on the trigger is your real safety I can see either situation being potentially bad for someone. Maverick receiver having no tang safety with an M500 trigger group being the worst of the two with zero mechanical safety in play. An M500 having two safety buttons but only one functional will mechanically work I suppose with the Mav cross bolt being the functional one. However someone forgets and applies the useless tang safety button to the on position. Then assuming the trigger is locked out when its not well uh oh. Big oops and a bang when not expected. Again, I stress trigger discipline is crucial but you have to some times assume lowest common denominator.

Sorry for the slight rant but look at it from a company liability perspective. Especially considering a safety on a firearm which we all know these days from the litigious sue happy society we live in its easy to see why they probably made the two trigger groups non compatible for obvious reasons I just mentioned. YMMV as usual. Back to your regularly scheduled thread now.

I don't have a Maverick but I found and purchased a trigger group so I will attempt the swap worst that happens is I have to sell the trigger group. If it does work, which i would thoroughly test as safely as possibly I will remove the tang safety and blank out the holes. I'm not crazy enough to create a shotgun with no safety or one with 2 non interlocked safeties.

,,,,500,,,,mav 88,,,,same receiver,,,,,,remove trigger group from 500,,,,,,completely remove safety,,,,install mav 88 trigger group,,,,,,you now have a 500 with a cross bolt safety,,,and a small hole in the receiver.
,,,,,,or did i miss something?

old mossy said:
,,,,500,,,,mav 88,,,,same receiver,,,,,,remove trigger group from 500,,,,,,completely remove safety,,,,install mav 88 trigger group,,,,,,you now have a 500 with a cross bolt safety,,,and a small hole in the receiver.

I think that's about right :D

aksavanaman said:
old mossy said:

I think that's about right :D

That's my plan

If it does in fact swap and work good for you. I never tried it or have any intention of doing so. Alot of folks on the web claim they don't interchange but then again it could just be they assume it doesn't. Hey, I don't rely on a mechanical safety anyways. As I've always held fast to just using your damn brain and keep the trigger finger outta there till ready to fire. Simple right?

But if a mechanical safety near the trigger is your thing and you are required (department rules for LEO folks etc...) for professional reasons I can see the appeal. Being a southpaw and liking a pistol grip on the shotgun the M500 tang safety works better for me anyhow even though I rarely apply it but I'd not pass up on a good deal for a Maverick either. Each to his or her own. Best of luck with this.

riverfront said:
I don't have a Maverick but I found and purchased a trigger group so I will attempt the swap worst that happens is I have to sell the trigger group. If it does work, which i would thoroughly test as safely as possibly I will remove the tang safety and blank out the holes. I'm not crazy enough to create a shotgun with no safety or one with 2 non interlocked safeties.

as i see it,,,the 500 safety when applied moves the little du-hicky (tang) on the trigger group preventing the trigger from being pulled.

the mav88 is a crossbolt type safety and is all contained in the trigger group.

we all will be waiting for your results. :)

JGwills, please allow me to explain about my comments on the origin of the Mav88... I was not questioning the firearms integrity or demeaning the company (Maverick). Just Maverick 88s are reportedly made/manufactured, not just assembled, in Mexico. I haven't really looked into it too much because I don't need another shotgun, but I would, and have, offered the 88 as an option for a Buyer-to-be! It is a much better, "Economy Shotgun" then the H&R Pardner Pump when you look at the After Market parts availability and Interchangeability with it's parts and the M500. Specifically barrel options out number the options for a Pardner Pump. You pay a little more ($50??) for that added benefit but it is well worth it.

They are licensed or what not under Mossberg, and just as you said, may as well be the same Company. Only thing you sacrifice for sure with a Maverick is the Un-Pinned forend. Parts are 100% interchangeable (with respect to the safety style of the 500 vs the Mav88 as we have discussed).

Also, the reason someone would want to swap the trigger assemblies out was also discussed :) Guys with Pistol Grips HATE the tang safety because you cannot dis-engage or engage the safety without breaking your grip on either the PG or Forend to actuate it... It is a tactical advantage, if you will call it that, to have the Safety by your trigger finger to some. (Mostly Personal Opinion too and how you run your rig)

Back on topic though... Please report how well the swap goes, maybe post up some pictures! :D

Not trying to start a flame war or anything Itsricmo. It would be interesting how Mossberg could stamp receivers Made in the USA if they were actually 100 percent wholly manufactured and assembled in Mexico. That would be illegal. Wouldn't the ATF require an importer's mark and actual country of origin like all other imports do?

By Mexican law receivers made there would be illegal anyways. US made receivers, assembled with mostly foreign (Mexican) components here stateside.

Still curious how the trigger swap goes for the original poster. Please let us know.

The Maverick 88 is not made in Mexico. It, along with a number of Mossberg 500's now, is made in Eagle Pass, Texas. Some parts and assemblies do come from outside the US, primarily Mexico, so this is where the idea that they are made in Mexico started.

In 2007(?) many 500's started using the same pinned fore end as the Maverick 88's. I believe all the synthetic stock basic 500's do now. The 500 series includes a lot of guns with numbers other than 500: 505, 535, 590, etc. so there is often some confusion about which parts fit what.

Mossberg has a number of variations limited to law enforcement and military, but most of these are just different configurations, shorter barrels, breacher attachments, and so on. Some of these are available as parts, some are not.

It gets confusing when the basic Mossberg 500 has been around for so long, as well as the less-expensive 88. The price of the 88 really comes from small changes now, not drilled for a scope, only two models, only synthetic stocks available, and a few other small changes. They are cheaper to assemble, minimally cheaper to manufacture and still have all the quality of a 500.

Jeff

weaselfire said:
The Maverick 88 is not made in Mexico. It, along with a number of Mossberg 500's now, is made in Eagle Pass, Texas. Some parts and assemblies do come from outside the US, primarily Mexico, so this is where the idea that they are made in Mexico started.

In 2007(?) many 500's started using the same pinned fore end as the Maverick 88's. I believe all the synthetic stock basic 500's do now. The 500 series includes a lot of guns with numbers other than 500: 505, 535, 590, etc. so there is often some confusion about which parts fit what.

Mossberg has a number of variations limited to law enforcement and military, but most of these are just different configurations, shorter barrels, breacher attachments, and so on. Some of these are available as parts, some are not.

It gets confusing when the basic Mossberg 500 has been around for so long, as well as the less-expensive 88. The price of the 88 really comes from small changes now, not drilled for a scope, only two models, only synthetic stocks available, and a few other small changes. They are cheaper to assemble, minimally cheaper to manufacture and still have all the quality of a 500.

Jeff

Great info Jeff! Thanks for sharing! I think you'll see a huge demand for the slide tubes in the near future when the 500 owners realize they can't swap forends...

The tang safety slides over the "pin" that sticks up off the trigger housing. When the trigger is pulled the "pin" is lifted up. With the safety ON it hits a wall and will not lift up, allowing the trigger pull. With the safety OFF it has room to move up as needed and allows the trigger to fire. Assuming the actual housings are the same and will swap, there really is no reason that the safety button in the receiver will have to be removed. The interlock safety will perform its function as it does on the M88, and the tang safety at that point will be a decoration. I hope that clarified a few things... Good luck and keep us posted.

Archametes said:
The tang safety slides over the "pin" that sticks up off the trigger housing. When the trigger is pulled the "pin" is lifted up. With the safety ON it hits a wall and will not lift up, allowing the trigger pull. With the safety OFF it has room to move up as needed and allows the trigger to fire. Assuming the actual housings are the same and will swap, there really is no reason that the safety button in the receiver will have to be removed. The interlock safety will perform its function as it does on the M88, and the tang safety at that point will be a decoration. I hope that clarified a few things... Good luck and keep us posted.

i hear an echo,,,,
PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 8:33 pm

old mossy said:
Archametes said:

i hear an echo,,,,
PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 8:33 pm

sorry Archametes, after reading your post again i see what you were saying about not having to remove old button.
c&p Assuming the actual housings are the same and will swap, there really is no reason that the safety button in the receiver will have to be removed.

ty for pointing that out.

Back