• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

500 Turkey Barrel Help

patdouglas22

Copper BB
First of all I want to say that I am new here and I can't tell you how happy I am to have found this site. Other than an old H&R single shot that I got for Christmas about 20 years ago as a child, Mossberg shotguns are the only shotguns that I have owned. I have always been a big advocate of Mossberg. The kind of quality and reliability at this price point is hard to come by these days. It's glad to see there is a community of people that feel the same way.

I had an 835 Ulti Mag with a 22" barrel that was a killer in the turkey woods but the financial climate of my household made it so that the best option was to sell it last year. I still have my old 500A with OFM camo for this year, but was looking to get a shorter barrel. It currently sports a 28" barrel that of course patterns great but as I like to run and gun, I am trying to find something shorter. I know they make the 20" barrel set for accu-choke but it'll be 6-8 weeks from Mossberg and it's a bit more costly than I would like at just under $200 shipped. I would settle for the 24" but can't find that either.

I live in Lexington, KY and have checked every gun shop around and everything on the web and can't come up with either barrel. I thought maybe you gentlemen with a bit more experience in the customization area might have some suggestions. There definitely is a great wealth of knowledge on this site.

Also I read that a 535 barrel would work if you cycle only 3" shells through it. Then the guy at Mossberg told me that it wouldn't. That may be a safety thing, or he may have not known. He did think that the 500A was a 20 gauge after all.

I know that getting the barrel in OFM is out of the question but the prospect of customization is extremely interesting and may just get me through the rest of this horrible winter! :D I'll paint it thanks to the guidance of these forums, or worst case scenario I'll use the tape.

I've been lurking around here for about a week but this is my first post. I've been pretty excited about adding a tactical stock as well but that's the easy part. So any suggestions are greatly appreciated. And once again, thanks for having me!

I don't know if it will be cheaper or not but the maverick 88 has a 24" ribbed barrel that threaded for chokes just thought it would be a viable option?

I'm in the gun shops alot just lookin for that special deal. I run into a few 500 barrels from time to time. I'll check and see if the one shop still has the vent-ribbed barrel I seen for $50. I do remember it had a small amount of rust around the barrel bolt though. I'll get back with ya.

That Maverick 88 idea is a good one, gives me another place to look anyway. I hate to say it but I had no idea about the possibilities all this time. I always look at those "Turkey Thug" guns that run around $500-$600. Little did I know that I was a short barrel and a tactical stock away from making my own.

Good suggestions and I appreciate everyone keeping their eyes peeled. I have the slug barrel for it too but here in Kentucky gun season allows rifles so I haven't yet had a use for that. My dad just had it from his days in Ohio.

I would post a pic but it seems Photobucket doesn't want to participate today

Here's a pic

Not the prettiest thing in the world but has collected some spurs in it's day.

By the way there was a gun show in town weekend before last and I missed it. They are in town all the time though. Will check the next one if nothing else.

http://www.tjgeneralstore.com/moss-bbl.htm

Theres a 20" ribbed barrel for 12 guage 500 about halfway down the page for $169 sounds like a good deal to me unless shipping is killer of course!

Did some reading this place is hit or miss I'd email them first before ordering just to make sure!

Last edited:
Well that's the first place I've found that said they had it in stock so good job.. haha.

I'm gonna check on shipping and may order that one if nothing else. I haven't given up on finding something used <$100 just yet.

Interesting.. thanks for finding it!

I wish it were that easy! I hear that shooting a turkey load through a rifled bore is a bad idea. Supposedly it comes out spinning and the pattern is shaped like a donut and doesn't hold together well. Definitely not preferable when turkey hunting.

Back