• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

500A barrel on a 835 - Yes it works!!!

MikeD

I'm Your Huckleberry
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
"Philanthropist"
I've been wanting to get a rifled barrel for one of my gun for quite a while and this year decided it was time. I didn't want to spend a lot on a new barrel so I set out to find a used one. Despite the fact that I have an 870, 500C, 930 and 835 at my disposal, the only barrels I could find for the price I was willing to pay were for a 500A. I can work with this so I picked up a new 500A magazine tube and barrel.

I started with a previous project gun my Mossberg 835

835_500_deer_001_zps33e67b89.jpg

Many of you may recognize this one as my project from last year. (MikeD's 835 project gun)

For parts I found a Mossberg 500A rifled slug barrel, 500A magazine tub/spring, a scope and some rings.

835_500_deer_002_zps3051574c.jpg

The process was pretty straight forward, remove the barrel from the 835 and then remove the magazine tube. Install the spring and follower into the 500A magazine tube (I used the same follower I had in the 835) and screw it into the 835 receiver. This was the trickiest part as I opted not to remove the bolt and slide assembly and had to hold the follower in the magazine tube through the feed port of the gun til it was screwed in tight. Next install the 500A barrel on the 835 receiver and voila!! The mounting of the scope was pretty straight forward.

835_500_deer_003_zpsdb841bca.jpg

835_500_deer_004_zpsabd808e6.jpg

835_500_deer_005_zpscb4c3967.jpg

835_500_deer_007_zpscdf205cc.jpg

835_500_deer_006_zps7c90bdde.jpg

At some point I may need to pull out the sprayer and CeraKote this barrel to match the receiver.

This was a really easy swap with the right parts on hand.

I'll be taking several guns to the range in about a week and will give a report after that!!

edit:
WARNING: Even though the 835 receiver can handle 3.5" shells, the 500A barrel is not designed for them. I am limited to 2 3/4 and 3" shells with this receiver/barrel combination.

**** FYIi ****: When doing this swap you will be limited to the shell size limitation of the barrel. Even though the 835 receiver can handle 3.5" shells, I cannot shoot 3.5" shells through this barrel as ir is designed for 2 3/4" and 3" shells only

Nice job Mike. Ya gotta love the Mossberg and all the combos you can do with it. :D

I'm waiting on the Millett mount for my soon to be slugger.

I forgot one of my ammo cans when I headed for the cabin so I never got to sight it in using the sabot rounds but I put about 20 rounds of Remington Sluggers and a couple boxes of Buckhammers through it.

Results were sketchy. At 50 yards everything with inside a pie plate but I couldn't dial it in any better than that with this combination before my shoulder started screaming at me. I actually expected better results even considering that the barrel is not really meant for rifled slugs. I get better groups though my smooth bore barrels at the same range.

I'm really hoping for a better results when I finally get to the range with some decent sabot rounds.

As a side, I'm really bummed that Remington quit making those Buckhammers. It was a hell of a slug.

MikeD said:
I couldn't dial it in any better than that with this combination before my shoulder started screaming at me.

Even with the tac stock? Did you have a limbsaver on it?

Back