• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

500C pump problems

John Fitz

Copper BB
Looking for some advice here. I have a 500 Country Squire that I got as a teenager back in the 70's that I recently got back from my brother so I can hand it down to my son. I've broken it down, cleaned and oiled it, and took it out to test fire. For some reason I can't cycle the action after pulling the trigger unless I push the cycle/pump release button. This happens both when live and dry firing. I've taken it apart again and can't figure it out. I feeds and ejects fine and there are no other issues except for the pump problem. Anyone have any experience or advice on this? Thanks

Welcome to the forum from NY. Sorry to hear about your problem with your old CS.
I would break it down again and give the bolt a real good soaking and cleaning. Also the trigger assembly.

Keep us posted.

Thanks for the kind welcome, I actually got this gun when I was living in Rockland, N.Y., now I'm in California. So you think this might not be a mechanical problem? I don't have a problem soaking the parts, if it works than it's an easy fix, what would you use, Hoppes, Breakfree, something else .....?

Thanks for the kind welcome, I actually got this gun when I was living in Rockland, N.Y., now I'm in California. So you think this might not be a mechanical problem? I don't have a problem soaking the parts, if it works than it's an easy fix, what would you use, Hoppes, Breakfree, something else .....?

Any good cleaner even auto brake cleaner or carb cleaner on the bolt.

Found the problem. There is a spring in the trigger housing that essentially does the same thing as pushing the pump release when the trigger is pulled. If that spring breaks the pump will not cycle, that was my problem....a good gunsmith picked it up right away.

Back