• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

590/835 magazine spring retainer cap mod

It isn't a flat spring like a snap ring. It won't compress. It's a 3d piece with a flange rim around the back like a mag follower. It works by gently prying up one side to shrink the size sort of like a coil spring shrinks in diameter when you stretch it out lengthwise. If you don't lift one side, it won't compress. Why would you bother with snap ring pliers, though? It comes right out with a pocketknife....I don't know why you'd want to use pliers on it.

As I just saw benelli's nova retainer cap, it's much easier to remove as it compresses with pliers and much easier to remove than prying it out.

I tossed that thing out of my 500.
It only useful if you change barrels in the field.

Other than that I can't think of a single reason to have it in there.

If you clean your shotgun without taking the spring out and cleaning the follower as well, you're just kidding yourself.

Somebody please tell me if there's another good reason to keep that piece in the gun because I can't think of a single one.

Somebody please tell me if there's another good reason to keep that piece in the gun because I can't think of a single one.

Other than just the convenience of not dealing with the spring each time you swap barrels I cannot think of any. Having it there really hasnt bothered me any, I prefer to not have the spring shoot out every time I remove the barrel.

My 870 uses the spring pressure to keep the end cap from backing off but you can also remove the retainer without tools.

I only remove the barrel for cleaning, & the tube always gets cleaned too.

That cap was part of the mil specs for a captive spring cap. Not a good thing if your gun barfed out parts every time it was cleaned.

Ever clean a 1911?

Better hold your finger over that spring when you open the buahing!

Back