• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

590 loading port modification for fast reloads...?

Shotgun_Swede

Copper BB
Hi guys!

I have a Mossberg 590 A1 that I will use for IPSC Shotgun competition. Fast reloads are essential if I don´t want to end up last on every competition (I still might though!). Fast Quadloads is definetly one of my goals.

I can´t find much info or pictures from 590 loading port modifications?

I've seen loading port mods on some semi's, but can't recall one for pumps.

Other than speed loaders.

Same here as John.

I imagine if you can find anything for say a 930, modifications would be similar.

Nope, no speedloaders. I will compete in "Standard Manual", and no speedloaders are allowed. More like something like this:

I already have a belt that allows for "quad-load grip" on the ammo. But without opening up the loading port, fast reloads like this is quite impossible.

How would you intend to modify it? I once used a dremel to enlarge the ejection port of an 870 but the 590 is fine. Maybe angle the edge on the bottom of the ejection port so it seems to open up more for combat reloads?

Hmmm, not the ejection port, the loading port.

I will open it up with a dremel, to widen it a little bit, but mostly to open it up at... "the bottom and the top" of the hole that leads to the magazine tube... If you understand what I mean. So the cartridges can be fed into the magazine tube at a little bit wider angle, so I can shove the shells in there a bit faster.

I guess taking a little bit at a time and testing will do. But it would have been nice to see some detailed photos of modded loading ports before I start grinding the brand new Mossberg. :)

Found this in an image search. It's mild but not that different than a 930.

image.jpg

My first attempt at opening up the loading port. Perhaps it is possible to open it up even more, but this is what I have at the moment. Much easier to get the shells in there, but I still need tons of practice before I get get two shells loaded in one swift flick of the wrist... :)

Before...

Mossberg laddport_1.jpg

After...

Mossberg laddport_2.jpg

In the beginning and at the end of this clip, you can see the loading port of his 590. So apparently I could have taken even more material... If I know myself correctly, that is exactly what I am going to do (when I can find the time... it is petty time consuming and getting the aluminum-grinds out of the gun is no fun either).

I would like the steps on how to open up the loading port like you did. I myself is in the same situation and I am using my mossberg 590A1

Back