• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

590 SBS police trade-in

Good evening, all.

I hope i am posting in the correct area. I have seen several listings for police trade-in SBS Mossbergs, and advertised as 590A1s. When I view the receiver, however, the M590A1 stamping is absent. Are the sellers blatantly fudging, or do the SBS trade-ins have the metal safety, aluminum trigger assembly, and double-walled barrel of the A1s, but lack the stamping on the receiver?

I hope my question has made some degree of sense. Thanks much in advance for any assistance.

Take care, and have a great night!

Aaron

Mind sharing the listing? I'm asking...for a friend. Haha.

I don't know if Mossberg makes a 590A1 stamped SBS from the factory. The police dept might very well have purchased 590s dept-wide and just modified those specific guns with 14" barrels and mag tubes for the officers that needed SBS length guns. And swapped out the trigger assembly and safety, too? Seems like a lot of monkey motion on behalf of the PD, but it's not unheard of (my brother is the armorer for his sheriff dept and he does a lot of part swapping to meet the needs of his swat teams, etc).

Option C: The person that wrote the advertisement doesn't know the subtle difference between a 590 and a 590A1. That's probably the most likely scenario. Either way, there's no telling what a PD armorer has swapped out from the original firearm. The PD's armorers are factory certified by Mossberg, so their guns could be a mixed bag of anything by the time the dept retires it from service.

Last edited:
Back