• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

590 Shockwave, 1st impressions

I'm thinking I will wait until one is available from the aftermarket. I am curious as to how they mount it and I reckon it will be sized for the heavy barrel.
Time will tell. Your right, it does look good.

Don't forget that I used the heat shield for the heavy barrel (part # 16335P) that I ordered directly from Mossberg for $30 plus about $6 shipping. The only thing I did was cut the slot for the Big Dot I had already installed on the barrel. I did have to trim, just a little, the rear of the front mounting bracket to have good clearance on the Mag tube cap. You can also drill and tap the heat shield for a bead sight or any other sight if you still have the factory bead in place. I would put a plug screw in the bead hole on the barrel if you do this. This way you get a heat shield made for the barrel diameter that goes all the way to the muzzle with a minimum amount of work. It's also parkerized so there is no shine to the shield.

Last edited:
I had a chance to fire the Shockwave with the heat shield today. The heat shield did not move at all. I fired 15 rounds of slugs and then 5 rounds of Federal 4 Buck (27 pellets) within just a few minutes. Again, the heat shield did not move. Not even a little bit. I used a coating of blue loktite under the front mounting band of the heat shield and tightened the mounting screws very tightly. I did not fire the gun without the loktite but I just went ahead and coated the mounting band. It looks like I won't need to drill and tap the barrel which I only would do if absolutely needed. The shield was just a little warm after the 20 rounds and the barrel was hot. I had fired a few rounds of 00 buck and 4 buck just before when I patterned the rounds. I'll post some photos in a day or so.

OK, here are some photos. The first is the muzzle with the heat shield BEFORE shooting and the second is the muzzle with the heat shield AFTER shooting. Notice that there is no movement of the heat shield from the recoil forces. The advantage to using the Mossberg heat shield (part # 16335P) is that it is sized to the heavy barrel and you don't have to modify it or bend screws to fit to fit. I also like that it is parkerized and has no shine to match the rest of the Shockwave.

100_0362_1 (Small).jpg 100_0380 (Small).JPG

The next photo is patterning for Federal Premium Personal Defense, 4 Buck, 34 pellets at 7 and 10 yards. There are a lot of holes there! Each 4 Buck pellet is .24" in diameter (.24 cal.).

100_0381 (Small).JPG

The next photo is for Winchester Super X, 00 Buck, 9 pellets at 7 and 10 yards.

100_0382 (Small).JPG

Last edited:
I called Mossberg and asked if they have any plans to introduce a heat shield for the Shockwave. The man said not at this time. So, I ordered a heat shield #16335P that MarkB1 posted. This heat shield is NOT on their website. You must call (203) 230-5300 | 8:00am-4:30pm Eastern. The total with freight was $52.45. Also, the man I spoke to said he was not aware of any new items in the pipeline for the Shockwave. So, we are on our own. I even told him the ball cap I want Mossberg to make, should have a six panel, low profile cap, with small letters SHOCKWAVE on the front and Mossberg on the back strap. I don't like any of their other ball caps. Thanks Mark.

Right now it's the only way to go. The 16335P fits the heavy barrel of the Shockwave and, just by chance, is just long enough to go right to the muzzle. Consider installing the Big Dot or other bead (large white bead?) into the heat shield. That way you don't have to cut a slot for the sight.

I used a Dremel HD cut-off wheel to cut the slot. Then a file to smooth the edges. I then used Brownell's Dicropan T-4 Touch Up Cream to blacken the bright steel areas from the cutting and filing. Hope this helps.

Sorry no photos, but I picked up my shockwave marine coat yesterday and took it straight to the range. Wow is this thing fun. I was suspect about the grip angle, but it worked as advertised. Mostly was shooting #6 shot, which was a breeze. A few rounds of OO buckshot had more recoil, but not much more. I have to say this "firearm" is very well designed. I'll get pictures when I can, but if your wondering about this particular model I give it a thumbs up!

That's the same I got. Sure is fun. Since shells are so inexpensibe, I think it will get lots of use (for enjoyment, that is). The 00 Buck is for the house.

I got the ATI Heat Shield. Needed a little finessing around the front end but a little Dremeling along the edges and it seems to fit just fine. Taking the barrel off and putting it back on take a few seconds longer as you have to move the barrel out/in as you unscrew the Cap, but it's no problem. Need to get some of that touch-up cream for the front end. Maybe, if time permits, I'll go shoot and see how it stands up. Thanks all on the board for the tips.

dqspzk.jpg

6zaoth.jpg

Shot a couple of boxes of #2 and 6 shot. No problems; shield stayed where it was supposed to be (no movement whatsoever.). I'm satisfied. Maybe not too pretty, but neither am I, so......

Shot a couple of boxes of #2 and 6 shot. No problems; shield stayed where it was supposed to be (no movement whatsoever.). I'm satisfied. Maybe not too pretty, but neither am I, so......

I know what you mean. Each morning I hope I don't break the mirror.

I got an email from the sales director of GG&G regarding the Magpul fore grip and heat shield sold as a pair. He said "We will take a look at this".
Apparently they are having second thoughts about the idea.
Time will tell, but it's nice to know some aftermarket people are still talking about the Shockwave.

I don't think this heatshield will fit the Shockwave because of it's heavy barrel. I called Mossberg and ordered mine. It is not listed on their website, so you will need to talk to someone over the phone. I believe three of us have bought the heat shield, so, if you need the part # lets us know.

Finally, got me one!
Us Shockwave fans are happy for you. It's a fun weapon, yet it fills a special place in personal defense.
Become as familiar with the Shockwave as you would with you favorite holster carry side arm.
The Shockwave can command more respect than a .45. Remember that. I'm serious.
Analyze where the Shockwave is a value. I like mine mostly in the seat next to me in my truck. One look at a 12 gauge barrel, the wide diameter, ready to breath fire and brimstone, seems to register more destruction than a 45 acp barrel.
It just goes to prove the "perb" is not as dumb as he pretends to be.

I never thought I'd see the day you could legally buy a short barrel shotgun without a tax stamp and six month wait!

Back