• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

590 vs 590a1 barrel weight

pressgo

Copper BB
Hello, does anyone know the weight difference between the 20 inch 590a1 and the non-heavy 590? My scale lists the heavy barrel 590a1 at 2lb and 8.5 ounces. I'm thinking about ordering the 20 inch non heavy from mossberg and selling the heavy barrel but i would first want to know if it's worth it. How much lighter is the 20 inch non-heavy barrel? Thank you.

The standard barrel is significantly lighter, somewheres around 1/2 pound. And more importantly: the weight is right where it matters, on top and all the way to the end.

I think you'll really like the standard barrel. The heavy barrels are heavy, hard to mount accessories and serve no real purpose.

I called mossberg to order a 20inch non-heavy barrel found on this model: http://www.mossberg.com/product/sho...0-special-purpose-590-magpul-exclusives/50669

The barrel they sent was a Heavy so I called to see what happened. The tech at mossberg went over the parts numbers and it turns out that the linked model comes with a heavy barrel despite it being in the 590 category, not in the 590A1 category. Can anyone confirm this?

They will be sending a close substitute with a matte blue finish instead of parkarized. Am I losing anything by going with this finish?

Doesn't surprise me that some models would use the heavy barrels, especially on a distributor exclusive.

Even some 500 models use the heavy barrels. The only barrel that is used exclusively in the 590A1 line is the 18.5" length. These are the only commercial barrels that are actually roll marked "590A1". As for the difference between a park'd and matte blue finish there is very little difference in appearance and virtually no difference in durability. I have models with both and they have held up equally well under my abuse. The park'd barrels have a slight greenish hue vs. the deep grey of the matte blue...

Back