• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

590 with a Burris Fastfire 3, anyone tried??

lateck

.270 WIN
I'm thinking of mounting a Burris Fastfire 3 on my 590.
Has anyone done this with a Burris Fast Fire?
Do you think it can hold up?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Lateck,

Re: 590 with a Burris Fastfire 3, anyone tryed??

Lots of guys use the Fastfire as backups on carbines, and I've personally shot a 500 with a fastfire on it. While it wasn't mine, my buddy had used this setup for a number of years successfully. While it's not the $600 trijicon( :eek: ), I think you'll be happy with this sight, nice and compact, sturdy and decently affordable. I say go with it!

aksavanaman; thanks for the info.
I will not drop $600 on a scope for short range but I got the Fastfire with another Burris scope package and I really did not need to have it on top of a 1~4 scope. So I ordered a EGW rail and I will mount it on my Mossy 590. I'll set it up for around 25 yards (???? Any ideas?)

I'll also post pictures on the photo thread later next week of it and my Knox stock I installed.

Thanks again.

Lateck,

Well if you already had it then double score for you man! Let us know how it works out!

Good call. Better to utilize it than just let it sit in the drawer and take up space.

Sorry for the thread hijack lateck...what did you think of the 1-4x Burris Tac30?

carbinemike said:
Sorry for the thread hijack lateck...what did you think of the 1-4x Burris Tac30?
I got the XTR package. The scope is great!!!!
Well worth it. I'm a better shot now. :shock:

Lateck,

Thanks. I have the Tac30 with 1-4x scope and Fast Fire 2 in transit from Optics Planet now. I figured I'd try the FF mounted on the combo but it did seem not needed with an illuminated scope at 1x. I was also thinking of other uses for it. It would probably go somewhere beside the Mossberg as I personally want to keep mine simple and basic.

carbinemike said:
Thanks. I have the Tac30 with 1-4x scope and Fast Fire 2 in transit from Optics Planet now.

Dude !.....I expect a review and pictures I really want to try a 1x4 for a couple sessions and its between a Burris or a Vortex

To the OP's question, I have mounted a PA reflex in a FF base on a 500 so its the same as you are asking about.
The problem IMO with the set up is the cheek weld.

The drop in a shotgun stock or comb prevents a good cheek weld when trying to line up with sights or an optic that sit up off the receiver, the shotgun stock is designed to give a good cheek weld when sighting down the top of the receiver.
As long as you know that and don’t mind your good to go.

If you want a good cheek weld with an optic on a rail mounted to the receiver you need to look into some sort of cheek riser.
Some folk’s don’t mind holding their face up off the stock to shoot, I can’t stand it.

You can see how far mine sat up on the receiver

Be glad to post up a review/pics Oli. I just need to get it. It should be here later this week. Checking for FedEx tracking updates is worse than watching paint dry.

Lateck, any chance of a more detailed review and/or some pics? I'll add mine to it down the road if you do.

I have not shot the gun yet with the FF3 but here are a couple of photos of what set up I have:

Thanks Oli for the thought on mounting the scope further back.

Lateck,

No problem,also if you have a problem achieving a comfortable cheek weld before the elevation adjustment runs out on your sight, check into the Powerpack cheek piece Blackhawk makes for that stock, like in my pic above.....it works

What sucks is I took it off my shotgun and slapped it on my AR and had the opposite problem…..too low….I am a picky bastard though

Oli700; Thanks for the Powerpack suggestion. I ordered one and it DID help!
You are right about the higher cheekweld.
I see the dot better (or I do not loose the dot) now. :p

Carbinemike; Nice review of the Burris set up. (I have the XTR14 w/FF3).

Thanks again to both of you.

Lateck,

Back