• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

590A1 6 shot or 7 shot?

#1Buck4me

Supporter
Have been considering buying a 590A1 with the 18.5 in barrel, so now I am torn between the 51411 6 shot or the 50766 7 shot model.

I was excited to see the introduction of the 7 shot model, but now am having some reservations about buying one. I like the thought of having one more round, but there are a couple of things I now don't like about the 7 shot. It seems to me that the barrel removal for cleaning is now a little more involved. Maybe not a big deal, but having never owned a 590A1 I just don't know. The other thing is I just like the looks of shorter magazine tube on the 6 round model.

It is so hard to find these models in stores for a hands on look see and feel so I thought I would turn to you guys for your thoughts.

Here's my thoughts having had the longer and shorter magazines.

I loved my A1 but in retrospect, I always told myself if I were to do it again, I'd get the shorter and could then either add a magazine extension or even swap to an 835 field barrel to use with chokes for hunting purposes. I now posses an 835 and a handful of chokes.

51411 - It's actually a 5 round mag tube. 5 + 1 in the chamber.

I have the 5 round model and aside from replacing and correcting the cartridge stop its been awesome and well balanced.

It's set up for home defense. Most shootings don't go past 2 shots. So 5 rounds is plenty but I have a 7 round side saddle.

Guys, thanks for the info. Think my gut was telling me I wanted the 5 shot model. Many of the ads call it a six shot model. I see it advertised both ways. With the 6 shot I have seen "Mossberg introduces 7 shot 590 and 590A1 at 2016 Shot Show". I like the Glock nomenclature of 15 +1 for the G19.

So the 51411 is what I will be looking for. Am not in a big hurry as I am still enjoying braking in my TR500!

Now another question about the 51411. When I searched for the 51411, the one that popped up showed a speedfeed stock. Don't really want a speedfeed stock, so what model number should I search with for the plain stock? Actually the speedfeed stock is not that big of deal as I would like to get the Hogue 12 LOP stock anyway.

Thanks
Buck

Last edited:
When I search that model number it shows the standard stock. Looked it up on Buds too and it shows the same photo. If you look at it on Buds and get to reading the reviews, ignore the first that says to remove the bead sight because it gets hung up on everything and besides, it's a shotgun so just point and shoot.

When I search that model number it shows the standard stock. Looked it up on Buds too and it shows the same photo. If you look at it on Buds and get to reading the reviews, ignore the first that says to remove the bead sight because it gets hung up on everything and besides, it's a shotgun so just point and shoot.

Thanks, I see what you mean. Several of the 51411's that were not out of stock and listed on line had a photo with a speedfeed stock and a disclaimer that the photo may not be accurate. A quick call to Mossberg CS also assured me that the 51411 does not come with the speedfeed stock.

So, I got the last 51411 that Grabagun had listed today. Due to high volume may not ship for 6 days, but at least I got one on the way Woo Hoo!

I had ordered the 18.5" and the dealer made a mistake and got me the 20". I'm actually happy about it. Holds more ammo, you able to put more accessories on it, and looks cleaner with the barrel and mag same length.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had ordered the 18.5" and the dealer made a mistake and got me the 20". I'm actually happy about it. Holds more ammo, you able to put more accessories on it, and looks cleaner with the barrel and mag same length.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Glad you were happy with the 20 in barrel. You do have the advantages of extra capacity and certainly the extra weight makes the recoil softer. Personally I would have a 14 in barrel if it were legal without the additional red tape!

Glad you were happy with the 20 in barrel. You do have the advantages of extra capacity and certainly the extra weight makes the recoil softer. Personally I would have a 14 in barrel if it were legal without the additional red tape!
I know, that would be great. I really never understood the short barrel shot gun legality.

I'm only 5'8" 165 lbs. yet I chose the 20" 8+1 590A1, with ghost rings. It's not for everyone, but the extra mag capacity and less recoil is a huge advantage especially with 00. This is now my go-to HD/WTSHTF gun. I love it! I keep my arms and shoulders in shape, to handle the 20" extra weight. Getting a tactical sling to off-set the extra weight, and a strope white light. The 590 is a bit much for wifey so I'm considering a Mossy Bantam 20 gauge for her soon.

Last edited:
I have a 51411 and one of the things I did after I had it for a year was add a mag tube extension. Please correct me if I am wrong but I thought the 51411 was no longer being made as Mossberg added the mag tube extension and gave it the new part number.

Back