• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

590A1 Build!

I love this shotgun! Its a heavy duty workhorse built to last a lifetime or two......okay more like three! First off I wanted something practical in terms of home defense and I think that the controls on this shotgun are in the perfect place so it was a no brainer for me to start with a Mossberg 590 because the mag tube can accept extensions and is easily cleaned. So I'm going to just let you guys know why I went with the parts I did. I debated on 20 or 18.5" 590A1's but I opted for the 18.5" with a +2 extension.......at 1.5" inches shorter and only one less round than the 20" it made sense to me. The fluted barrel helps a bit with cooling supposedly and weight (SLIGHTLY) plus it just looks plain Bad A$$ with the porting in the flutes!
Modifications

18.5" fluted barrel that has been ported, forcing cone lengthened, and back bored by Vang Comp Systems.
XS Tritium Big Dot front sight installed by Vang Comp Systems.
S&J +2 extension with hi-viz orange CNC machined DuPont delrin follower.
Wolff Extra power magazine spring.
Magpul SGA rear stock and M-Lok forend (soon to be stippled by me).
Magpul 870 recoil pad adapter.
Limbsaver recoil pad.
Surefire Mini Scout 300C, 300 lumen weapon light on an aluminum magpul M-Lok cantilever mount.
Brownells enhanced Safety.

Modifications Below have not been installed or performed(will be soon).

Surefire Pressure switch for scout light and Magpul M-Lok Surefire ST switch illumination kit.
Blue Force VCAS padded sling with Knights Armament QD's.
SOE Velcro shotgun cards (6 rounds), Esstac Velcro Shotgun Cards (5 rounds).
Magpul Sling QD sling mounts for rear of stock.
Magazine tube honed with Flex-hone for smooth feeding and reliability.
S&J sling mount for +2 extension.

VCS treatment, I was debating between Aimpro and Vang comp but Aimpros track record steered me away from them. Lets face it Vang comp knows shotguns and their customer service rocks (Thanks Gumby if your reading this). I opted for the whole shebang......I believe its a system and if your missing one part (porting) then its not the best it can be. That being said I can see why people stay away from ports as this sucker is LOUD. But that's okay because I normally shoot with earpro. In an HD role I know that you want to retain all the hearing you can but this trade off is worth it in the smallish chance that I have to use it in that role. The ports also reduce or breakup the muzzle flash at night to retain more of your night vision. That being said it is an awesome system and I would do it again and again, NO REGRETS.

The XS big dot is a really well thought out design for short range HD work. Its big and its FAST! I love beads for HD. I'm sure its not too bad with slugs at a distance either but hey that's not what It was designed for.

The S&J +2 extension just plain works! plus its made from a solid piece 4140 steel and parkerized to match the factory finish.

The Magpul stock and forend are amazing and VERY well thought out. Its fully adjustable for LOP and cheek riser height for those of you that run optics or ghost ring sights. The stock has awesome ergonomics and working the safety and action lock is very natural and smooth. The forend is very well built just like the stock, it has built in hand stops and M-Lok slots where I need them and you can attach anything you want or need. Its a simple light and sturdy forend.

The limbsaver recoil pad and VCS allows you to shoot all day!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Surefire mini scout is (I think) perfect for a shotgun. Its light, durable, and you can mount it on anything as there is a lot of aftermarket support. 300 lumens could be a tad on the bright side but I haven't found it to be too much of an issue. I like my light on the forend, I want to control the light easily (still have to install pressure switch). I mounted it on the right side because I'm going to put the pressure switch on the left side. Plus I could see my thumb getting whacked by the light or mount. Yeah I could have bought a surefire forend but for me it seemed clunky, heavy, and no hand space!
Brownells enhanced safety is probably one of my favorite modifications. Lets face it there is nothing worse then having the safety on when it needs to be off. IMHO this particular safety is the best one out there. The ridge allows easy, intentional, positive engagement with or without gloves on.IMG_0356.JPG IMG_0353.JPG IMG_0355.JPG IMG_0354.JPG IMG_0352.JPG

Last edited:
That is one wicked looking scattergun.

I like the barrel porting.

Outstanding! You have done your homework. I went with the 88 (7+1) because I am used to the trigger guard location of the safety. I added Shoten long release because I added a pistol grip stock. Also, because of aging eyes, I added a reflex dot sight. Was considering porting one, but noise might be a problem to me. But your Moss is way ahead of mine. Well done.

Outstanding! You have done your homework. I went with the 88 (7+1) because I am used to the trigger guard location of the safety. I added Shoten long release because I added a pistol grip stock. Also, because of aging eyes, I added a reflex dot sight. Was considering porting one, but noise might be a problem to me. But your Moss is way ahead of mine. Well done.

I try to do my homework hehe and this time it paid off :) Run it how you are comfortable.......your the only one that knows what YOU like.

I rarely comment on heavily modified fighting shotguns. But..........

Well Done, Sir. That is high-quality all the way without being overdone. What a huge investment you've made and it came together extremely well. Nice job.

I rarely comment on heavily modified fighting shotguns. But..........

Well Done, Sir. That is high-quality all the way without being overdone. What a huge investment you've made and it came together extremely well. Nice job.

Thanks! That is exactly what I was going for........I hate overdone......overdone is heavy, clunky, weighs a ton, and ultimately turns a weapon system into something that is not working in your favor.

.......every time someone post that I come running thinking someone actually built a shotgun......oh well nice installations anyway

I like the fluted barrel, that amongst everything else really sets it apart at first glance.

Well done, you obviously put some thought into these mods.

I like the fluted barrel, that amongst everything else really sets it apart at first glance.

Well done, you obviously put some thought into these mods.
that is a really cool barrel, hardly ever see them and I've never seen one with VCS

Back