• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

590A1 Choke Options

I believe the 590A1 shotguns only come with a "cylinder bore choke". What are the options to convert to a Modified Choke for shooting clays?

I wonder if my only option is to purchase a whole new barrel replacement? If so, can I purchase any Mossberg 500 barrel to swap out when I shoot clays and replace with the original barrel when I set it up for Home Defense?

Re: 599A1 Chock Options

They typical OEM is CYL. You can have it sent to Vang or Aimpro and have it modified. You can also on occasion find OEM barrels with screw in chokes. They are very limited production but you can find them at Havlin Sales.

From what I'v read, I think the Cylinder choke is the bests option for HD since its in close distances so I should keep the existing barrel as is. I guess my question now is which other barrel is compatible with the 590a1 that has a modified choke? This way I can just swap out barrels as needed.

Which 590A1 do you have?5 or 8? The 5 round can take the 835 barrel, which will give you some additional choke options.

5 round magazine tube.. That's great. I'll look into these barrels. So I won't need to change anything but the barrel itself?

I just order the 835 barrel model 90831. It should arrive in a few weeks. Hope it works well. Thanks for your help.

Hi Guy`s, I have provisional ordered a 590 8+1 from my dealer here in the UK.

I have been told it has a 24" barrel but I have 2 different peoples opinions about the choke. one says its cyclinder and another says its multi choke. As the gun is not in UK yet we cant check.

My question is if its cyclinder can I have it reamed for chokes ?, some people who have 500`s and earlier 590`s say they have been told by their gunsmiths it cannot be done.

@bofor Technically it can be done there are numerous places here in the US that can do it. That said, I do not know the laws in the UK so they may be correct purely do to the laws in your locale.

MikeD, thanks for the reply.

There are no laws in UK against doing the reaming BUT it must be Re-Proofed afterwards, which is also no problem.There are some choke makers here capable of doing it.

I got the impression from the other people that wanted to get it done was that it was not technically possible. If the barrel end is thick enough then it`s good to go.

As well as the ones already mentioned in the thread, Rose Action Sports, Williams Gun sight, etc... can do it as well. Williams only does one type. Truchoke or something. Rose Action can do RemChoke, Invector (mossberg) for 12g and i think only invector for 20g. You will have to contact them to see about international jobs. That may be a problem.

MikeD...thanks....we have people here in UK who can do this if its thick enough.

Merry Christmas !!:D

Back