• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

590A1 Ghost Ring issues

jnk556

.22LR
So i bought a 590A1 last month at Cabelas, and right out of the box it shot low, I mean big time low about a foot and a half at 25yds! I adjusted the rear ghost ring as high as I can get it, if i go any further the screw would come out of the rear site! I tried 2 types of slugs, and 2 types of 00 buck, and it's still shooting about 4" low.

Only way i can think of to get it to raise would be shorten the front site, but I'm not about to file on a brand new shotgun site. I'm not sure if Mossberg offers a shorter front site, or if there really is a problem with the sites themselves. I sent Mossberg a E-mail last Wednesday, and have yet to get a reply, I hear they are really slow about answering them if they ever do at all, but my work schedule limits me to about 1 day a week, i could possibly call them, so i wanted to see if I could talk to someone via e-mail first.

Anyone ever ran across this problem, or heard of this happening?? Anyone have any ideas?

The "contact us" page on the Mossberg site is pretty much useless. We have a contact at Mossberg that should be able to help...

Joe Zakher
jzakher@maverickarms.com

I seem to recall seeing this issue posted up here on the forum before, so there may be a member or two chime in with some first-hand advice...

Thanks for the help! I'll send him off a e-mail here in a few days when i get things settled down a bit. Maybe in the mean time, someone else that has delt with this might be able help.

So i bought a 590A1 last month at Cabelas, and right out of the box it shot low, I mean big time low about a foot and a half at 25yds! I adjusted the rear ghost ring as high as I can get it, if i go any further the screw would come out of the rear site! I tried 2 types of slugs, and 2 types of 00 buck, and it's still shooting about 4" low.

Only way i can think of to get it to raise would be shorten the front site, but I'm not about to file on a brand new shotgun site. I'm not sure if Mossberg offers a shorter front site, or if there really is a problem with the sites themselves. I sent Mossberg a E-mail last Wednesday, and have yet to get a reply, I hear they are really slow about answering them if they ever do at all, but my work schedule limits me to about 1 day a week, i could possibly call them, so i wanted to see if I could talk to someone via e-mail first.

Anyone ever ran across this problem, or heard of this happening?? Anyone have any ideas?
wow that is super low......usually when people come here saying that , they are usually just sighting wrong with the bead sight but I cant recall hearing such a low shooter with ghost rings, hard to do it wrong.

You got any pics of the front and rear sights, from the side ?

I'll get some pics shortly, but there's nothing off looking about them, everything looks fine, it just shoots low. Like I said if someone offered a lower front site, I could probably fix it.

Here's some pics I snapped real quick:

100_2331_zps1839f020.jpg
100_2330_zps922c9138.jpg

100_2329_zps8e48298e.jpg
100_2328_zps557945c9.jpg

What part of the front sight are you lining up with your target?

100_2330_zps922c9138.jpg

There is a lot more to the front sight post than just the tip. You might try using different index points along the sight base for close range. I'd drop the rear sight back down and use the different alignment points indicated in the photo above until you find your sweet spot.

Shooting 1.5' low at 25yd is still a little extreme and I cannot imaging a mechanical reason for it. Any chance you're dropping the muzzle as you shoot in anticipation of recoil? Whether it's a pistol, a rifle, or shotgun, shooting low is almost always a sign of the shooter tensing up just as the trigger is pulled. If a shooter's focus is on what's happening from the trigger back, they tend to forget about the front sight. A fraction of a second during the trigger pull is all it would take to drop the shot 1.5' on target. Motor reflexes can play really wierd tricks on us, but are easily overcome once we are aware of what is happening...

everything looks normal, don't know if its worth looking for a lower front sight blade.....drift out the one you have now and tap in a lower blade

I'm shooting off of the top of the blade on the front, #5 in your pic, as you would a rifle. I shoot military rifles, so these sites aren't foreign to me. I was shooting from a rest with slugs to try to get a idea where it was at, and I use a extra 1" recoil pad, so recoil isn't a factor, I have mauser rifles that hit harder!;) Just kinda though 4" low at 25yds was a little extream with your rear all the way jacked up, I mean heck if I wanted to shoot at 100yds with a slug, it would be impossible!

I've thought about just trying to get a new front site from Mossberg, and grinding it down, to see if i can get it into adjustment. May see if i can do that first.

Yes, I have had it out on two separate trips, and both times it was shot from the rest. I was attempting to site it in, is why I used a rest.

Sorry, I meant not on the rest.

Does it still shoot that low when you shoot off-hand. I know it's a lot of questions, but I'm just trying to wrap my mind around why this is happening...

Your going to have to take a crap load off to get on target and get the rear aperture back down to the middle of adjustment

Your front ramp should be a 3/8" dove tail. There is a formula to figure out the front sight height....it's like sight radius x impact height over distance or something like that Googleable. Get a new proper height front sight and a small triangle file to fit it and I bet you would be happer

I think I'm going to contact the address above, and see what Mossberg thinks before I go modifying too much. If they think it's a problem with the gun, I'll send it in first.

Well, got a e-mail back from our contact above, he recommends that i send it in for service, and is sending me a Fed-Ex label. Now, if I can schedule a pick-up with Fed-Ex, as the nearest ship center is over a hour away:(

Well, i update my progress if I had any. Received the e-mail from Mr. Zakher recommending that I send the shotgun in for service I replied back with my serial number and address, and never got a reply or Fed-Ex label in reply. I just sent another e-mail to him, maybe i can get somewhere.

Hell, if they are this slow to get a gun in for service, if I do get it sent it, I probably will be looking at a year without the gun?:(

I know it's frustrating.

Staying in contact for the duration of the time they have your shotgun will help speed things along. Squeaky wheel gets greased sort of thing. Sucks, but in our experience that's the best way to help things along with them...

Hell, if I could just get a label to get it sent back I'd be a bit more happier. The gun I can live without through this winter anyways.

Same applies.

Sent an e-mail a day if you have to until it gets done. Joe has always taken care of us around here, but he seems to be one of the only ones there that gets things done. Needless to say he stays pretty busy...

Back