• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

590A1 ghost rings at night?

spofny

Copper BB
I'm going to be using a 590a1 on hog at night time. There's going to be some light available but I don't want to be completely blind in case a hog wanders out of the lit area.
Any tips on improving the stock sights? Fluorescent paint perhaps?
Or is it a red dot that's needed? If so, is there any rail that will let me keep the stock peep sight?

Maybe search "night sights" for your model gun? I've seen tritium front sights to replace a bead sight but not sure about ghosties...

BTW, Welcome Aboard, spofny! :)

Hello and welcome.

How big of an area is "lit" and what is your range limit?

Fluorescent paint.... ummmmm, NO. Never.

Red dot hell yeah, but you will never co-witness the rear peep sight. You are not supposed to even try. Red dots do not need a rear iron peep sight, as an RDS actually is independent of them. Trying to put the dot in the center of your rear aperture is fruitless, because it simply doesn't matter. If you can see the red dot in the tube you are pretty much GTG if you have a semi decent RDS.

But independent of your irons and going to a RDS, you will need a VERY LOW mount on a shotgun unless you are going to radically alter your shotgun buttstock because the cheek weld is going to be a big problem.

Last edited:
Continuing, if you put a Streamlight TLR-1 HL up near the muzzle you can use your terrific Ghost Ring Sights in the "lit area" and if you can't identify a good shot when one moves out of the "lit area" lust torch that thing on and use those GRS they way they are meant to be used.

That's what I would do.

Spofny,

I put an XS front tritium bead on my 590A1 with GRS. Works really well as long as you can see the hog!!:noprob:

Thanks for the welcoming!

How big of an area is "lit" and what is your range limit?
Lit area is going to be around 10 yards diametre around a food dispenser. I'd say maximum distance of shots in that situation might be maybe 30 yards.

Continuing, if you put a Streamlight TLR-1 HL up near the muzzle you can use your terrific Ghost Ring Sights in the "lit area" and if you can't identify a good shot when one moves out of the "lit area" lust torch that thing on and use those GRS they way they are meant to be used.

That's what I would do.
Yes, that's what I'd do too if it was legal in my country but unfortunately hunters are pretty much neutered here. Absolutely no NVS and we are only allowed to use weapon-mounted lights when searching for wounded animals, and you aren't even allowed to have a light mounted on the gun until there's a wounded animal that needs to be put down.

Not cheap indeed, and in my country it's even twice that price. F*** taxes.. :)

Red dot is looking more attractive the more I think about it, but I'm still gonna miss that big ol' rear ghost ring. Has anyone here swapped the stock rear sight for that XS Sights one, and if so how did you like it compared to the stock sight?

Member "fellmann" has a great thread about putting a cheek riser on the buttstock of his RDS shotgun. It was very informative and quite brilliant! @fellmann can you post the link to your thread? Worthwhile education for other shooters!

Even if your food dispenser zone is just moderately well lit you will not see a tritium front sight any better than the bright orange front sight blade you have now. Trits work in the dark. Not in lighted areas. I work with tritium sights All THE TIME and worked a helluva of a lot of night shift police patrols, and tritium sights are basically good only in near or total darkness.

At thirty yards by thirty feet in a lighted area your GRS sights ought to work great.

One other thing.... if a hog wanders out of your circle of light, how are you going to see a humane and clean kill aiming point even with a Red Dot Sight?

One other thing.... if a hog wanders out of your circle of light, how are you going to see a humane and clean kill aiming point even with a Red Dot Sight?
Well, this is merely one of the weird things about hunting (and gun laws in general) in my country: We are supposed to think that it is more humane to take a shot at a dark animal in a dark forest than to use lights or night vision devices that allow you to clearly identify what you are shooting at.. Anyway, this is just me but if I don't see what I'm aiming at then obviously I won't fire. There are lots of hog here, so even if one wanders off then hopefully there will be more inside the lit area.
There are however lots of people who just let the shots fly in those situations, since they know that it gives them the excuse to use the lights on the guns..

Member "fellmann" has a great thread about putting a cheek riser on the buttstock of his RDS shotgun. It was very informative and quite brilliant! @fellmann can you post the link to your thread? Worthwhile education for other shooters!

Even if your food dispenser zone is just moderately well lit you will not see a tritium front sight any better than the bright orange front sight blade you have now. Trits work in the dark. Not in lighted areas. I work with tritium sights All THE TIME and worked a helluva of a lot of night shift police patrols, and tritium sights are basically good only in near or total darkness.

At thirty yards by thirty feet in a lighted area your GRS sights ought to work great.
Regarding cheek riser, I have the Magpul stock so I can just swap the riser for a taller one if I need to.
Great info about Tritium. I have never seen that stuff so I thought it glowed like a light even at daytime.. :)
Alright, I think I will try it out and see how it feels. Maybe I won't have to invest in night sights or rail + red dot after all. Thanks!

Well, this is merely one of the weird things about hunting (and gun laws in general) in my country: We are supposed to think that it is more humane to take a shot at a dark animal in a dark forest than to use lights or night vision devices that allow you to clearly identify what you are shooting at...

What is your country, spofny? I promise not to tell anyone... ;) I'm in the US, Central Florida area.

I think you may be referring to "Jack Lighting" which is the "freezing" of game (usually deer) at night by using a bright spotlight. You've heard the expression "deer in the headlights"? The game is dazzled by the bright light making an easy kill out of it. The act of Jack Lighting is considered poaching in most states or at the very least hunting during unauthorized hours (ie: night).

As far as I know, night vision is allowed during wild pig hunts at night. These are NOT a protected/managed species and in most places are destructive pests.

What is your country, spofny? I promise not to tell anyone... ;) I'm in the US, Central Florida area.

I think you may be referring to "Jack Lighting" which is the "freezing" of game (usually deer) at night by using a bright spotlight. You've heard the expression "deer in the headlights"? The game is dazzled by the bright light making an easy kill out of it. The act of Jack Lighting is considered poaching in most states or at the very least hunting during unauthorized hours (ie: night).

As far as I know, night vision is allowed during wild pig hunts at night. These are NOT a protected/managed species and in most places are destructive pests.
I live in Sweden. Here the authorities sadly haven't classed the hogs as pests but if they do they might allow night vision. I won't hold my breath though. It's more likely that they ban guns to be honest.. Because of the EU's Firearms Directive the authorities are already discussing if centerfire rifles with the ability to hold more than 20 rounds in the magazine should be classified in the same category as explosive military missiles and launchers.. Imagine a Mossberg MVP bolt-action rifle being in the same category as a Hellfire missile.. :doh: I see it as a slippery slope to a total gun ban.

Back