• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

590a1 heatshield

I see that the new 590a1 Retrograde has a heatshield installed as it comes from the factory.

My question is: how did Mossberg get that heatshield installed and is it the same heatshield that you can buy as an accessory for other 590a1's?

Normally, heatshields are installed by removing the front bead sight and sliding the heatshield over the barrel. I was able to install a heatshield on my 590a1 w/ XS ghost sights by forcing the shield's front clamps over the thin end of the barrel. With a little bit of lubricant, tape (to prevent marking) and elbow grease, you can in fact install a heatshield over a 590a1 barrel, but the process is permanent (meaning once the shield is installed, it's not easily removed).

The 590a1 retrograde stands out to me because it obviously has high profile ghost ring sights, but Mossberg somehow managed to install it. Moreover, it seems that the method for securing the shield is different from the method which I used to secure mine: there is no front spacer used to keep the shield in place, at least not according to pictures on Mossberg's website.

51665_590A1-RETRO_HeatShield.png

So is there a new heatshield being offered for the 590a1 that can be installed and removed without breaking pieces or scratching up the barrel? If so, is there a part # associated with this component?

Last edited:
I would like to be able to have one of those 590's. But the only way I'd probably be able to afford it is if I started a gofund me page.

I believe he had the same problem with heatshield and sight and he said how he did it. Around 3:58 in the video

Back