• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

590A1 magazine length

mooz

Copper BB
Hey all

New to the forums here, hope all is good!

So around this time last year I bought a new 590A1, for all intents and purposes the SKU for the shotgun according to the place online that I bought it is "MS50776". Around the same time before I got mine a friend of mine bought the same exact model, when I received mine I noticed right off the bat that the magazine length wasn't flush with the length of the 18.5" barrel like I saw in the pictures and how my friends was.

I've since had to drop the issue but shortly after I bought the gun I did call Mossberg and they for whatever reason ended up sending me a magazine extender that actually extended a few inches over the length of the barrel which I'm assuming was intended for a 20". I'm kinda wanting to figure out what the deal is so I'm wanting to return to it.

Does anyone have any idea why the magazine isn't flush with the length of the shorter barrel like how they were in the pictures I saw before buying it and how it was with my friends? It's sort of one of the reasons I bought this shotgun.. I attached first the picture that was advertised to me and the current picture of mine that has the shorter mag.

Thanks for your time!
03171788b3f4e7e51c6ab8250d9e1cf4.jpg
133b5e4723d77d45b0321b895d195efd.jpg

Edit: inadvertantly I stumbled upon another person that seems to have the same issue over at the budsgunshop website (last review):
https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog...Shotguns/Mossberg/Mossberg+590A1+12g+18.5+7SH

Hope I'm not being a broken record.. Not sure what his outcome was, is this a known issue?

Last edited:
Hi,

It seems to me that your 50776's magazine tube is appropriate for the model's specification: 7 (6+1) shot capacity, 18.5" barrel.

Other 5901A models are built to a 9 shot capacity with 20" barrel.

These 9 shot models, with fitted with a 20" barrel result in a barrel and magazine tube which results in the physical profile you're noticing. Example: http://www.mossberg.com/product/590a1-9-shot-51660/

So, it's not about barrel and tube being the same length regardless of shot capacity.

It's about meeting the shot capacity specification, while using the minimum magazine tube length.

Mossberg offers several permutations of the same over-arching design so we are more likely to use the product immediately w/o asking, "Does this gizmo work with <Mossberg SKU>?"

Mossberg philosophy seems to be: buy the one that works for you and use it right out of the box.

... or did I completely miss your point?

-Jon

PS: from bud's gun shop catalog, fine print:
*Please Note!! Many of our pictures are stock photos provided to us by the manufacturer and do not necessarily represent the actual item being purchased. Please verify this picture accurately reflects the product described by the title and description on this page before you place your order.

Last edited:
Hi,

It seems to me that your 50776's magazine tube is appropriate for the model's specification: 7 (6+1) shot capacity, 18.5" barrel.

Other 5901A models are built to a 9 shot capacity with 20" barrel.

These 9 shot models, with fitted with a 20" barrel result in a barrel and magazine tube which results in the physical profile you're noticing. Example: http://www.mossberg.com/product/590a1-9-shot-51660/

So, it's not about barrel and tube being the same length regardless of shot capacity.

It's about meeting the shot capacity specification, while using the minimum magazine tube length.

Mossberg offers several permutations of the same over-arching design so we are more likely to use the product immediately w/o asking, "Does this gizmo work with <Mossberg SKU>?"

Mossberg philosophy seems to be: buy the one that works for you and use it right out of the box.

... or did I completely miss your point?

-Jon

PS: from bud's gun shop catalog, fine print:
*Please Note!! Many of our pictures are stock photos provided to us by the manufacturer and do not necessarily represent the actual item being purchased. Please verify this picture accurately reflects the product described by the title and description on this page before you place your order.
Hey there,

Thanks for the reply.

I mean, yeah I think I get what you mean. What I don't really understand though is a friend buying the same exact 7 shot 590A1 and his having the magazine length as shown in the product picture (as shown in my original post). And I guess what I was getting at with the budsgunshop page is that one of the customers (in the review section) that purchased this shotgun noticed the same thing I did, and I'm just not really sure what to think.

Bottom line is what I expected when I bought it was to have the magazine length flush with the length of the barrel as it was shown in the product picture, especially when my friend had what I expected when we bought ours around the same time (albeit from different stores).

Thanks for your time

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk

If you want yours to be 100% flush with the muzzle, look at purchasing a choate magazine extension. Mine came with the extension as well like your friends, but I still swapped it out for a longer one from choate to be 100% flush to the muzzle. The Choate +1 4.25" extension sits flush with the barrel and makes the capacity 7+1 using the factory follower. Or buy the nicer S&J hardware mag extension.

If you want yours to be 100% flush with the muzzle, look at purchasing a choate magazine extension. Mine came with the extension as well like your friends, but I still swapped it out for a longer one from choate to be 100% flush to the muzzle. The Choate +1 4.25" extension sits flush with the barrel and makes the capacity 7+1 using the factory follower. Or buy the nicer S&J hardware mag extension.
The thing is.. mine is already a 7 shot (6+1). So neither of those extensions would work for me because if they were added they would extend past the barrel. I have to say it, I'm sorta disappointed in Mossberg's marketing team.. if I knew beforehand that that was the case I wouldn't have bought it. It doesn't really seem like there's anything I can do even though all of the online gun shops are marketing the shotgun with a tube that is flush with the barrel..

The thing is.. mine is already a 7 shot (6+1). So neither of those extensions would work for me because if they were added they would extend past the barrel. I have to say it, I'm sorta disappointed in Mossberg's marketing team.. if I knew beforehand that that was the case I wouldn't have bought it. It doesn't really seem like there's anything I can do even though all of the online gun shops are marketing the shotgun with a tube that is flush with the barrel..

03171788b3f4e7e51c6ab8250d9e1cf4.jpg

I bought the 590 non heavy barrel version of this same gun you posted and it came with the same extension that's pictured, but it was not actually flush with the barrel. The extension that I mentioned in my post makes it truly flush to the muzzle and my gun is now a (7+1) 8shot.

After re-reading your posts I can see where things sorta went awry. The gunshop your friend got his from must have had existing stock, where-as the shop you got yours from had gotten newer stock. or vice-a-versa. Here is an old stock photo of the 590A1 special purpose shotgun.
mossberg-53690-015813536905-3.jpg

Pictured below is my 590 with the extension that I was suggesting. In order to fit 7 in the magazine tube I used my oem follower and spring with the new extension. I also have the same mag cap you have pictured on your gun, but mine is sitting in a box with the rest of my other take offs and spare parts.

Untitled
by douro_oni, on Flickr

Last edited:
Back