• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

590A1 magazine retainer detent ball and spring

You'll be able to shoot a wide range of buck and slugs, but keep it well above 1200fps to start.

The 930s tend to get choked up on underpowered loads...

Did Mossberg remedy the situation? I bought a brand new 590a1 20" and the first issue was the after was a bear to move, after stripping and lubing the saftey internals it freed up big time. However, after I got home from hiking with it I took off the cap and my spring detention shot out, I cut the spring down and managed to push it back in but the barrels pin hole would not hold in the bearing. A little nudge and it shoots off. My 835 Ulti-Mag does not have this issue even when nudging the bearing. Sending it in to Mossberg, got an email back from the gentleman at Maverick Arms. Soo I will see if the actually fix it.

Also, how long did it take for them to fix it? My 590A1 is my HD gun but I can use one of my other shottys to take its place while it is getting fixed.

UPDATE:
I ended up fixing the 590a1 by myself, here is how: I re stretched the spring I had previously snipped down a bit to make up for the loss of spring end. Used a small punch and firmly placed both the spring and detent bearing in the pin hole, I then peened the steel around the pin hole until it kept the bearing in place. Now it's as snug as a bug, even after 3" slugs. Holds the cap tight and in place. Still have Mossberg sending the part to me just in case. Hope this helps anybody wanting to know how to fix an 835 or 590a1 with a detent issue. No need to panic as I first did :)

Back