• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

590A1 Oversized Safety

I have had my 590A1 for a few years now, and I have slowly been modifying just about every part of the gun (minus the trigger, receiver, etc.). One thing I have thought about getting is an oversized safety because I have a tactical stock, and the factory safety is a bit of a pain to operate. I have found 3 types that all look like they work well, but I thought I would see if folks on here would have some input.

Vang Comp: Vang Comp Safety.jpg

Brownells: Brownells Safety.jpg

Elite Tactical Advantage: Elite Tactical Advantage Safety.png

All 3 are metal. The Brownells is steel, and the other two are aluminum. I tend to lean toward the Vang Comp safety because I have the VCS mod with ports, and they do awesome work, but the other two also have me intrigued, especially the Elite Tactical Advantage one. Thoughts??

There should be some posts in that thread by folks with hands on personal experience.

I've had the ETA safety on my 930 SPX since shortly after I bought it.

I like it so well that when I ordered a Mossberg 500 hunting shotgun, I ordered an ETA safety for it before the shotgun arrived.

How easy (or difficult) is it to install an oversized safety? I too have considered this purchase but never went forward with it as I wasn't sure how to install one.

Not hard at all. Remove old screw slow and carefully not to let the spring under old safety to pop out.

Hold down new safety as you screw it on.

I put a vang comp on my 500 a while back & love it .....
e2238163040a2c43e99ceec534bb0673.jpg

I have the ETA safety on both of my Mossbergs. I really like it but ETA sucks. It took 13 days to get it, no response to several emails, 9 days into the order it finally shipped. If you can get it from anywhere but direct from ETA, I would do that.

Back