• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

590a1 questions

I just picked up a 590a1 with XS ghost sights and the speed feed stock. I gave it a basic cleaning, but other than that I haven't had a chance to shoot it or do a full disassembly to see how it comes apart and goes together. I did have a few questions though on a few things I've noticed:
1) The rear sight ring of the XS sights seems to have a slight amount of wiggle/play. The base its mounted to seems solid enough but the rear sight aperture can be moved ever so slightly by hand. Is this normal? I know this platform isn't intended to be a precision system, but still I just wanted to make sure this wasn't a defect from the factory.
2) Reading through the owner's manual, there was guidance stating that I should avoid storing the shotgun in any sort of fabric-lined case for the long term (something to do with mitigating rust). I currently have it stored in a fairly basic drag bag with a gun sock (made out of what feels to be cotton-like material). Should I not store it in a gun sock for the long term?
3) The fore end (with the corn cob) has some play. I've handled other versions of the 500 and 590 and noticed this. I assume this is normal for the 590a1 as well?
4) I noticed that "590a1" is printed, or stamped, on the receiver. However, the barrel itself says "590." Is this a typo? Or is that normal for the 590a1 models?

My questions aside. The shotgun feels very good when I shoulder it. I do notice that the LOP seems a little long with its current stock, but I'll see if it affects me at the range. Except for the few issues I brought up (which may turn out not to be issues at all depending on the feedback I get here), everything about it feels solid. I'm looking forward to getting some range time with it.

1) all sights should be on securely. Look into putting some loctite (blue) on the sights and tighten them down

2) Storing in a gun sock is fine as the sock breathes and as long as you put some protecting oils on the gun when it's put away. Storing it in an enclosed cased traps moisture and if there's changes in temperature the moisture can cause some condensation and rust your gun.

3) Should be normal

4) I'd have to look into that on mine. 590A1 comes with a thicker barrel and your trigger guard should be made of metal not plastic.

1) all sights should be on securely. Look into putting some loctite (blue) on the sights and tighten them down

2) Storing in a gun sock is fine as the sock breathes and as long as you put some protecting oils on the gun when it's put away. Storing it in an enclosed cased traps moisture and if there's changes in temperature the moisture can cause some condensation and rust your gun.

3) Should be normal

4) I'd have to look into that on mine. 590A1 comes with a thicker barrel and your trigger guard should be made of metal not plastic.

Thanks for the quick response. In regards to the sight, it definitely doesn't seem like it is going to come off. All I'm saying is that I can wiggle it ever so slightly by hand. If this isn't supposed to be happening, is there a way to tighten it?

The trigger guard definitely is metal. And the barrel seems thicker than the normal version. I just thought it was weird that the barrel still said "590" next to its gauge.

If you can move it by hand... imagine what will happen with the recoil of a 12g shotgun will do to it over time.

I haven't dealt with the XS sight system on the 590 so I'm unaware of how to correct this.

Welcome to the Mossberg Owners Forum Fred...!!

Enjoy our community...

Having zero'd and shot the 590A1 a bit, the wiggle in the rear sight aperture definitely seems normal. When you raise the rear sight, which inevitably you'll have to in order to get a decent zero at close distances, the sight has some wiggle simply because it is being unscrewed from hole in the receiver. Conversely, when you lower the rear sight, it becomes more seated and thus gets a firmer seating in the hole.

I've shot a few different types of loads and slugs, and the sight, and my zero has had no issues staying in place. Just FYI for anyone else who is picking up a new 590A1.

Last edited:
The barrel of my 590A1 has model 590 stamped on it. My rear ghost ring sight is the mossberg version and that sucker doesn't wiggle at all, I know different sight maker but it doesn't move at all.

The barrel of my 590A1 has model 590 stamped on it. My rear ghost ring sight is the mossberg version and that sucker doesn't wiggle at all, I know different sight maker but it doesn't move at all.
Good to hear on someone else having the '590' on the barrel.

As for the sight wiggling, I think it's normal, at least for the XS ghost ring system. I've talked to gunsmiths and played around with it on my own, and there really doesn't seem to be any way to keep it 100% tight. The rear sight aperture does essentially stay in place though (it only wiggles or moves if force is applied to it by hand) and so far my shots out to 25 and 50 yards haven't suffered for it.

All in all, I'm starting to like this firearm. The 12 gauge recoil is a beast, especially with slugs, but I find with the proper posturing I can mitigate that recoil. As well, the LOP is a bit long with the factory stock. I'd eventually like to replace with it Magpul's adjustable stock. Already picked up a Tacstar side saddle, so I can hold 19 shells as it stands...if i can just get a hold of a heatshield that fits, I'm golden.

@Fred245
The best route to go on the heat shield is to order the 590A1 heat shield from Mossberg. Unless it's an interference issue with other parts that you're having.

@Fred245
The best route to go on the heat shield is to order the 590A1 heat shield from Mossberg. Unless it's an interference issue with other parts that you're having.
Yeah, I've called them about it and they said they didn't have anything that fit the 590A1. Is there a special # I need to call for the LE/Military parts?

Yeah, I've called them about it and they said they didn't have anything that fit the 590A1. Is there a special # I need to call for the LE/Military parts?

That's crazy. They do (or did) carry a heat shield for the 590A1.

Depends on which length barrel 590A1 you have. The 20" barrel model Mossberg has a special heat shield that works, the 18.5" barrel model they do not.

Back