• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

590A1 Special Purpose front sight

270shoot

Copper BB
This is my first posting, so "hi" everybody!

Got my hands on a used Mossberg 590A1 "Special Purpose" a few weeks ago, traded in my 88 Maverick and paid on top. Best decision I ever made, what a difference! I totally love the 590, built like a tank, shoots like a dream (and kicks like a mule.....)

Anyways, I will take it out deer-hunting in a few weeks, and want to help my aging eyes a bit with a red dot sight. I bought a little Weaver Micro Red Dot sight and a rail yesterday. I removed the Ghost Ring Sight, mounted the rail and the Red Dot, easy going...... turns out the front sight is a bit high (the Red Dot sits very low on the receiver), I can see the front sight blade full.... Now, how do I remove that dovetail front sight balde? I have proper tools (brass and nylon punches), should I just punch it sideways? Do I have to go in a certain direction, does that matter? I don't want to damage anything.

Thanks,

270shoot

270, is the red dot mounted too low for a co-witness of the front sight blade? My only thought would be that in the case of the red dot failing, you could always revert back to iron while out in the field... using the red dot tube as a sort of ghost ring sight. My 590 doesn't have the GRS sigths but I'm pretty sure you can just float the sight blade out of the dovetails... but then it's a bunch of work to get'r back in. Brainstorming that's all :D

Thanks! I like the idea to keep the front sight in place and switch back to the Ghost Ring sights whenever I want to. After reading the reviews of that Weaver Micro Dot Sight I had second thoughts and returned it yesterday evening (impulse buy, it was on sale so I just grabbed it). I will use my old but functional Bushnell Trophy Red Dot for now, mounted on rings it clears the front sight. I will post a photo tonight when I am back home and finish the setup. (they won't let me bring my 590 to my office).... :)

Regards,

Here are the pix. I mounted the red dot with Weaver Tactical rings, a tight fit but it fits!

Attachments

• 590a1.jpg
    590a1.jpg
    153.8 KB · Views: 179
  • 590a2.jpg
    590a2.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 179
  • 590a3.jpg
    590a3.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 178
Back