• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

590A1 w/ Magpul MOE & SGA

Man I just love the look of that magpul furniture on the 590. Got to get me a set now...... Oh and another 590 or 500 to put it on. Dosent hurt to have options.... Lol. Like to keep my current 590 tactical then have this for when I want a regular SG feel. o_O
Just do it man its a great setup.

@wrl

Nice work on writing up your experiences and taking pics to help others!

I've been diggin the Magpul stock for awhile, I guess since I saw it on an 870 after last years shot show.

Nicely done, thank you!

I'm thinking about going with the S&J extension. Do you have to do anything to the magazine tube where it meets the extension to ensure there is no binding? It looks like the ends are slightly crimped inward on mine and I'm worried it may cause the spring or follower to bind. Thanks

I'm thinking about the S&J extension. Do you have to do anything to the magazine tube to ensure there is no binding?

Only if you're using a Choate extension

Seriously folks, the S&J is just fine. If you need to flare/straighten/smooth the end of a magazine tube a common brass plumb will do the trick.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: the S&J extension is a work of art, but throw away the spring and follower that comes with it. The total spring diameter is too small, the weight is way too much and the mediocre follower requires the use of their spring. Re-use your old factory follower (strong, light, and most importantly rounded edges) and factory extended spring.

Only if you're using a Choate extension

Seriously folks, the S&J is just fine. If you need to flare/straighten/smooth the end of a magazine tube a common brass plumb will do the trick.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: the S&J extension is a work of art, but throw away the spring and follower that comes with it. The total spring diameter is too small, the weight is way too much and the mediocre follower requires the use of their spring. Re-use your old factory follower (strong, light, and most importantly rounded edges) and factory extended spring.
I will agree with everything you have said until the follower. I really like the follower s & j provides with the kit that had. There was room for improvement but it is better than the factory follower. The extension is top of the line.

Just to confirm, I made it out to the range today and everything was buttery smooth. Also worth commenting on is my recoil management progression. To put it all into perspective, I'll use a 1-10 scale, with the original setup using full power 2.75" slugs being a "10" on the meter. 00 buckshot would have dropped that to a 9-9.5. Switching to low-recoil 2.75" 00 buck took that down to a "7". The Magpul stock contributed more comfort...we'll say "6". Add the Limbsaver and we're down to a "5" or lower. However, today's target on the other end of the barrel had a 10" gaping hole in its 'chest' and would probably disagree with my lack of discomfort.

So why did you go with the Magpul plate adapter and Limbsaver Speed Mount recoil pad for the Remington 870?

I just got my 590 (with Magpul furniture) and shot it for the first time today. I mostly shot some birdshot, but did 5 slugs too. My shoulder is red from today so I'm looking to duplicate what you did to reduce the felt recoil and wondering why you made those choices.

Thanks.

Privately talked to wrl and this is still what he recommends as does Limbsaver too. They were pretty quick to get back to me with an answer.

So, I'll have my 590A1 with this set up soon to help reduce felt recoil.

^ Tapatalk wasn't working with this forum for a while, so I didn't realize there were new replies. Anyway, from the conversation with ThePixelated:

If you have the Magpul SGA stock [and wish to add an aftermarket butt-pad], then you need the [Magpul] butt-pad adapter in order to fit a Limbsaver. Additionally, the only [aftermarket] butt-pads that fit the [Magpul] adapter are those made for Remington 870. You essentially have two options: the Remington gel pad or the Limbsaver.

Basically, you're in the same boat I was in if you have this stock. At least until Magpul updates the adapter to accept other Mossberg pads, that is.

http://store.magpul.com/product/MAG318/shotgun

Also, I included the applicable part numbers in earlier posts.

wrl - Thanks for your responses!

So, the Easy-Glide Coating liquid that Limbsaver sends in a tiny bottle with their pad is a solid block of epoxy. Is it really needed?

wrl - Thanks for your responses!

So, the Easy-Glide Coating liquid that Limbsaver sends in a tiny bottle with their pad is a solid block of epoxy. Is it really needed?

I don't believe I received such a thing. If I did, then I must have tossed it with the packaging.

Sent from my mobile device

I don't believe I received such a thing. If I did, then I must have tossed it with the packaging.

Figured. I didn't even bother worrying after I opened it up and it was solid inside the bottle. Just wanted to know if anyone else encountered this too... Thanks.

Finally got to the range today. I shortened the length of pull by removing 2 spacers from the Magpul stock. I had the higher cheek rest when I was shooting skeet, but switched it out for the regular sized one when I was shooting slugs.

cddeecff-30d7-417a-ae73-c646d8c0941c_zpsd233a1b6.jpg

The Limbsaver for the 870 (and the Magpul butt plate adapter for the 870) worked wonders! No pain in my shoulder after a few hours. Didn't really feel any pain on the recoil from firing the slugs. Fired 8 or 9 (a friend shot one or two) rapidly with no worries about shoulder pain.

I am quite happy with the results of this modification! Thanks wrl!

Last edited:
Another update... Still ZERO shoulder pain after a few days (unlike the first time I shot my shotgun)... Limbsaver rocks! I'm a happy shotgunner now!

Another update... Still ZERO shoulder pain after a few days (unlike the first time I shot my shotgun)... Limbsaver rocks! I'm a happy shotgunner now!
I'm glad it worked out for you and hope that my presentation was of some use.

I'm ready to order the Magpul Forend and Stock but just cant decided if I want to go black or FDE. I just ordered the S&J +2 extension. I just can't decide.

I'm ready to order the Magpul Forend and Stock but just cant decided if I want to go black or FDE. I just ordered the S&J +2 extension. I just can't decide.
If you haven't already, try googling around for pictures of the FDE; be sure to search generically so as to catch the Rem870 guys as well. There are a few YouTube videos and forum threads with plenty of visual aids. Those helped me make my decision when I was considering the same option.

Back