• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

590A1 w/ Magpul MOE & SGA

wrl

.22LR
Hi,

First, let me thank everyone here for providing the knowledge foundation I needed to get the setup I wanted. I've been meaning to get a Mossberg for years and finally made it happen.

Since joining, I've acquired a Mossberg 590A1 (51411 - 18.5" barrel, plain synthetic stock, & bead sight). I've added an S&J Hardware magazine extension, Meprolight tritium bead sight, 3GunGear side saddle, and just this week--the Magpul furniture for Mossberg came in from Patriot Outfitters.

I certainly had to search all over to find pictures/opinions of the above, so I thought I'd lump them all in here with my thoughts:

1. I labored over the side saddle decision (plastic vs velcro), and I'm happy I went with the velcro. I'll probably order additional shell cards, but likely the Esstac since they have pull-strings.

2. I should have placed a rag over the pliers when installing the Meprolight to avoid scratches to the barrel. Also, I'm not certain that I aligned it perfectly straight, but then again, I'm not sure how much I care about this for a scattergun that just sits next to the bed.

3. The spring that came with the S&J extension jangles around in the tube when I shake the gun--I wonder if there is anything I can do about that?

4. Magpul MOE forend: I initially purchased and installed a Surefire DSF 500/590 integrated forend light (the newest one), but decided to go the Magpul route instead (anyone want to buy a barely used Surefire at a discount? :)). Two observations with regard to the Magpul forend--1) I really like the ergonomics. 2) Immediately after install, I noticed that the last inch or so when racking the slide toward the aft offers resistance that wasn't there before. When I took it apart tonight, I noticed that one of the forend arms that goes into the receiver seems loose (dangly?)...I'm mildly concerned that I damaged/am damaging something. After reassembly, the length of the resistance has decreased, but it still feels "sticky" at the point which the motion reverses to the forward.

5. Magpul SGA stock: This came with four spacers for those who wish to increase LOP; I haven't installed any of them yet. Although the bolt attaching the stock to the receiver is fairly short, it's a slightly awkward install as it goes in near the top of the "pistol grip" and doesn't have a lot of room to work the supplied hex wrench. Fortunately, it didn't require many turns. However, during the field-strip I performed due to the racking issue I'm having (see above), I realized that when tightened down, the lack of clearance in the groove at the underside front of the stock prevents the trigger group from being removed--thus I had to loosen the stock in order to remove the trigger and proceed with disassembly (annoying!), then tighten it again after reassembly. Otherwise, I'm digging the stock. I'll post again after I get it out to the range this weekend.

Overall, I'm pleased, but hope to resolve the one or two little issues I'm having. Here are some photos. I took them in haste since my phone was dying, but I can do more/specific/greater detail if requested. Also, the default synthetic stock, mag tube screw-cap & spring, follower, bead sight, and Surefire forend light setup are all available for those interested. Thanks again!

82o7.jpg

87ly.jpg

qkll.jpg

so14.jpg

lqgn.jpg

lom0.jpg

m4yq.jpg

Thanks for the review.

Very interesting that the trigger assembly can't be removed with the stock in place. That makes it a non-starter for me.

Can you give us a detailed review of the new model Surefire DSF? What about it didn't you like?

Just saw this on another forum by a Magpul marketing guy:

On field stripping...yes, also we've found that on some firearms, the size/shape of the trigger pack and our stock prohibit field stripping without loosening the stock screw a turn or so. We had to choose between this or a gap in the fitment on some models that might allow debris intrusion. With some fitting, the recess can be easily relieved if you don't want to have to loosen the screw.

Duane Liptak, Jr.
Director of Product Management and Marketing, Magpul Industries
Director of Magpul Dynamics

I took the new setup out to the range yesterday and am very pleased. The Magpul setup doesn't seem to reduce the recoil much over the original stock, but the extra control afforded by its improved ergonomics seemed to allow me to control it much better. In total, we put ~75 rounds down range (it was a handgun day) and my friend who tried out my previous setup agreed that the new furniture was a definite improvement.

I won't say much about the Surefire setup just yet as I have an ongoing ebay auction for that forend light and I don't want the appearance of advertising. But I will say that it functions as intended--the light, with its dual outputs and temporary on function are actually pretty cool. However, the biggest drawback for us is that it weighs down the forward end a bit too much for my rather petite wife. I would otherwise highly recommend it.

Welcome aboard and thanks for sharing. I also have a 51411 and I added the S&J extension and the Meprolight. For stock I went with the Hogue shorter LOP and Limbsaver.

On the rattling spring, did you cut the spring to short? Does it feed ok? I had to cut a few inches off mine per the instructions and it doesn't make a sound, even unloaded. A spring in the tube that is under a compression force shouldn't rattle for you. If you take the spring out of the tube is it longer than the distance from the tube end to the follower?

Edit - if it helps, my spring is about 1 3/4" longer than the tube end to follower distance.

carbinemike said:
On the rattling spring, did you cut the spring to short? Does it feed ok? I had to cut a few inches off mine per the instructions and it doesn't make a sound, even unloaded. A spring in the tube that is under a compression force shouldn't rattle for you. If you take the spring out of the tube is it longer than the distance from the tube end to the follower?

My S&J extension/spring didn't come with instructions. The spring is 4-5" longer than the tube. The funny thing is, when I pulled it out to inspect just now, I noticed that it wasn't making the rattling sound anymore. Just before we left the range, the follower wasn't "following". It turned out that I had it oriented such that the coiled end was toward the forward end and the pointed end was snagging the follower. Reversing it fixed that issue and I now wonder if that solved the rattling as well. At any rate, should I still make it a point to chop the spring? Thanks.

I can't say for sure but I think the spring is made to work with different length mag tubes. My directions said to trim it but you can call or email S&J for an answer. They are very responsive (mention MO!). I tried it full length and the first round of a fully loaded tube "blasted" (for lack of a better word) out of the tube with what I felt was to much force. I trimmed an inch at a time until I felt the first round exited the tube with the same force as the original Mossberg set up and the last round had plenty of pressure too. Let us know what you work out. Regardless, I'm glad you got the rattle out.

I just received my Magpul SGA stock for my 590A1 and my Magpul SGA forend shipped today. I was searching for information on how to remove the original forend and it looks like it might be the same situation as my 500's forend removal.

Did your 590A1's forend come off easy? Or is it setup like the Maverick 88's where the forend's action bars are built into the forend? I want to know if I should order a action slide tube to save myself the hassle.

Thanks in advance!

wrl said:
Hi,

First, let me thank everyone here for providing the knowledge foundation I needed to get the setup I wanted. I've been meaning to get a Mossberg for years and finally made it happen.

Since joining, I've acquired a Mossberg 590A1 (51411 - 18.5" barrel, plain synthetic stock, & bead sight). I've added an S&J Hardware magazine extension, Meprolight tritium bead sight, 3GunGear side saddle, and just this week--the Magpul furniture for Mossberg came in from Patriot Outfitters.

I certainly had to search all over to find pictures/opinions of the above, so I thought I'd lump them all in here with my thoughts:

1. I labored over the side saddle decision (plastic vs velcro), and I'm happy I went with the velcro. I'll probably order additional shell cards, but likely the Esstac since they have pull-strings.

2. I should have placed a rag over the pliers when installing the Meprolight to avoid scratches to the barrel. Also, I'm not certain that I aligned it perfectly straight, but then again, I'm not sure how much I care about this for a scattergun that just sits next to the bed.

3. The spring that came with the S&J extension jangles around in the tube when I shake the gun--I wonder if there is anything I can do about that?

4. Magpul MOE forend: I initially purchased and installed a Surefire DSF 500/590 integrated forend light (the newest one), but decided to go the Magpul route instead (anyone want to buy a barely used Surefire at a discount? :)). Two observations with regard to the Magpul forend--1) I really like the ergonomics. 2) Immediately after install, I noticed that the last inch or so when racking the slide toward the aft offers resistance that wasn't there before. When I took it apart tonight, I noticed that one of the forend arms that goes into the receiver seems loose (dangly?)...I'm mildly concerned that I damaged/am damaging something. After reassembly, the length of the resistance has decreased, but it still feels "sticky" at the point which the motion reverses to the forward.

5. Magpul SGA stock: This came with four spacers for those who wish to increase LOP; I haven't installed any of them yet. Although the bolt attaching the stock to the receiver is fairly short, it's a slightly awkward install as it goes in near the top of the "pistol grip" and doesn't have a lot of room to work the supplied hex wrench. Fortunately, it didn't require many turns. However, during the field-strip I performed due to the racking issue I'm having (see above), I realized that when tightened down, the lack of clearance in the groove at the underside front of the stock prevents the trigger group from being removed--thus I had to loosen the stock in order to remove the trigger and proceed with disassembly (annoying!), then tighten it again after reassembly. Otherwise, I'm digging the stock. I'll post again after I get it out to the range this weekend.

Overall, I'm pleased, but hope to resolve the one or two little issues I'm having. Here are some photos. I took them in haste since my phone was dying, but I can do more/specific/greater detail if requested. Also, the default synthetic stock, mag tube screw-cap & spring, follower, bead sight, and Surefire forend light setup are all available for those interested. Thanks again!

Does the magpul forend cover the front of the receiver when it is pulled back and prevent loading a fresh round? It looks mighty long.

Re: 590A1 w/ Magpul SOE & SGA

WiKDMoNKY said:
Did your 590A1's forend come off easy? Or is it setup like the Maverick 88's where the forend's action bars are built into the forend? I want to know if I should order a action slide tube to save myself the hassle.

The action arms are built into the action tube and the original corn cob forend was a shell tightly fit around the tube. A few minutes of judicious rubber mallet use coaxed the tube right out. The Magpul forend went on relatively easier, but has a very minor rattle to it.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Re: 590A1 w/ Magpul SOE & SGA

John A. said:
Does the magpul forend cover the front of the receiver when it is pulled back and prevent loading a fresh round? It looks mighty long.

No, in fact there is probably a half inch gap of clearance in between the forend and the receiver when fully retracted. I'll verify that distance when I get home.

John A. said:

If you look close John, his action is open in the pictures... so that's as far as the Magpul forend will go ;)

Nice. I didn't like it when it first came out, but the SGA stock is kind of growing on me.

So this is essentially how to remove the forend from the action tube?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEU8rYvToQs

wrl said:
WiKDMoNKY said:

The action arms are built into the action tube and the original corn cob forend was a shell tightly fit around the tube. A few minutes of judicious rubber mallet use coaxed the tube right out. The Magpul forend went on relatively easier, but has a very minor rattle to it.

WiKDMoNKY said:
So this is essentially how to remove the forend from the action tube?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEU8rYvToQs

I didn't (nor wouldn't) make the cut into the plastic like he did. I just positioned the plastic handle of a cleaning brush on the edge and knocked the corn cob loose with a rubber mallet. Once it was jarred loose, I grasped both action arms in one hand and pulled with the other until the tube separated.

To follow up from earlier, with the action fully aft, there is roughly 1" of clearance to the receiver. To address another comment on aesthetics, my friend, who is rather traditionalist (he brought out his Civil War replica rifle to the range the other day if that gives any indication...), MUCH preferred the Magpul setup over the original.

Sure, I like the look, but the ergonomic improvement is really what immediately won me over before I even got it out to the range. I might look into replacing the recoil pad with a Limbsaver (I think I read that that's possible) and I'm planning on Dremeling out that area of the stock that's preventing the trigger group from being easily removed, but I'm otherwise VERY happy with the setup. Other than maybe adding a sling down the line, I consider my 590A1's evolution to be finished.

wrl said:

Get rid of that Junk spring and follower that S&J sends with their extension. That spring is too narrow in total diameter for a 12GA tube. The plastic follow is too long for 7-round, 18.5 tube and it has sharp edges, too.

The best spring and follower for your setup is the tried-and-true OEM metal follower with the OEM Extended (Persuader) spring.

I am using the S&J +2 extension (with S&J spring and follower) on my 18.5 barrel and I can easily fit 7 rounds in my mag tube and did not notice any sharp edges on the follower. I had 0 problems with it when I shot with the extension on when the shotgun was new out of the box.

blacksmith said:
wrl said:

Get rid of that Junk spring and follower that S&J sends with their extension. That spring is too narrow in total diameter for a 12GA tube. The plastic follow is too long for 7-round, 18.5 tube and it has sharp edges, too.

The best spring and follower for your setup is the tried-and-true OEM metal follower with the OEM Extended (Persuader) spring.

Quick update...One minute with a Dremel eliminated the need to loosen the stock to allow for trigger assembly removal.

Back