• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

590A1 w/ Magpul MOE & SGA

I decided to make a few more minor changes.

1. Currently the recoil doesn't bother me, but with the spouse in mind I'd like to minimize it as much as possible. Magpul released a butt-pad adapter plate earlier with the Remington 870 version of their stock and Limbsaver released a compatible recoil pad. I went out on a limb (haha!) and ordered the two...they fit perfectly! Magpul part number MAG318-BLK and Limbsaver part number 10100; Amazon has both for approximately $13 and $31, respectively. The adapter plate also allows for any other Rem 870-patterned recoil pad.

kz0m.jpg

2. After a bit of reading around, I decided I'd try another spring and follower to increase reliability. I ordered two of Wolff's generic 40" shotgun springs from gunsprings.com (65165 TUBULAR XP SHOTGUN MAG SPRING 12 GAUGE) and will cut/fit them to size. I also ordered the GGG follower.

u have a very nice set up here sir...wish that the magpul furniture for mossberg here in the PI is readily available...

hope you can post pictures of your new addition there on the sga stock adapter and limbsaver..:)

GG&G is top shelf and your really going to like that Limb Saver.....and I have Wolff springs in a couple pistols, always good. Got yourself a killer scatter gun

havoc21 said:
hope you can post pictures of your new addition there on the sga stock adapter and limbsaver..:)

Here are a few pics with the Magpul Remington 870 plate adapter & Limbsaver installed...also a few comparison shots against the original stock/forend and the original Magpul recoil plate/pad.

n65y.jpg

i8a0.jpg

x7ua.jpg

qk3j.jpg

bks8.jpg

hzgr.jpg

Just to recap the mods:

- Meprolight tritium bead sight
- S&J Hardware +2 extension
- Magpul SGA stock (with light Dremel work to facilitate trigger assembly removal)
- Magpul MOE forend
- Magpul plate adapter for Remington 870 (MAG318-BLK)
- Limbsaver Speed Mount recoil pad for Remington 870 (10100)
- 3 Gun Gear side saddle
- GG&G follower
- Wolff springs (65165) are on the way

Re: 590A1 w/ Magpul SOE & SGA

Water Monkey said:
Looks like a well set up shotty!

It's because of your video review that I was able to tear it down and reassemble!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Any idea if this forend will work with the factory heat shield? I saw one review on Youtube that mentioned that it may interfere.

ETA, I found a review on MidwayUSA that mentioned this as well. If so, thats's a big disappointment.

Re: 590A1 w/ Magpul SOE & SGA

Topgear said:
Any idea if this forend will work with the factory heat shield? I saw one review on Youtube that mentioned that it may interfere.

ETA, I found a review on MidwayUSA that mentioned this as well. If so, thats's a big disappointment.

Everything I've read suggests that it will not work with the heat shield.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

havoc21 said:
sir can u provide a top view reference pic of the barrel and foreend, since i also have a heatshield...

Duane Liptak said:
We spent all our research time making sure we were compatible with that shoulder thingy that goes up, and left out barrel shrouds. :)

On a serious note, going back through the requirements from way back when this kicked off, the shroud function appears to have been considered superfluous with the higher sides of the forend, as described by another poster, and compatibility was desired, but not required if it sacrificed the higher sides of the forend to get that compatibility. Engineering did the final compatibility notices right before the release, which included confirmed (and acceptable) incompatibility with the shroud after we did the test-fitting of the final version to every possible mossberg we could lay hands on.

So many products have been through the pipeline since this tooling was kicked off, it's easy to forget the details that were fresh in everyone's mind while the project was in design. Everyone gets back up to speed and CS gets notified prior to release, so if you were misled as to compatibility, it was not intentional, and we may be able to arrange a swap or refund if erroneous information from us led to a purchase which you are unhappy with.

Duane Liptak, Jr.
Director of Product Management and Marketing, Magpul Industries
Director of Magpul Dynamics

You can read more here, beginning with post #69, and I'll get that reference photo up later today.

I'm sooooo up in the air. I just can't decide if I wanna order the Magpul stock and forend or just get the Hogue 12" LOP stock. UGH. I think It's cause I'm trying to save money, for another gun but wanna finish my shot gun too.

The Wolff springs came in last night. I chopped one down to 29" and shaped the ends so they're flat and don't point into the end of the magazine extension & follower. There are two points to note here: the spring S&J includes with their +2 extension is the same length as the factory original spring (19"). However, the S&J spring is a fair bit more narrow, which is why I think it was binding in the tube. The Wolff spring is as wide, or perhaps wider than the factory spring, preventing it from having any room to move around and bind in the tube.

The GG&G follower just feels more solid than the S&J follower and seems to weigh more. Where the plastic S&J follower would resist falling out of the tube even with the spring removed, the stainless/aluminum GG&G falls right out. I preferred the S&J's green color, but the red GG&G is still fairly easy to see; plus its increased reliability is a no-brainer.

Just to confirm, I made it out to the range today and everything was buttery smooth. Also worth commenting on is my recoil management progression. To put it all into perspective, I'll use a 1-10 scale, with the original setup using full power 2.75" slugs being a "10" on the meter. 00 buckshot would have dropped that to a 9-9.5. Switching to low-recoil 2.75" 00 buck took that down to a "7". The Magpul stock contributed more comfort...we'll say "6". Add the Limbsaver and we're down to a "5" or lower. However, today's target on the other end of the barrel had a 10" gaping hole in its 'chest' and would probably disagree with my lack of discomfort.

havoc21 said:
sir can u provide a top view reference pic of the barrel and foreend, since i also have a heatshield...

I hope this is what you were looking for...

s9qt.jpg

83n7.jpg

gh49.jpg

Sinkhole said:
I'm sooooo up in the air. I just can't decide if I wanna order the Magpul stock and forend or just get the Hogue 12" LOP stock. UGH. I think It's cause I'm trying to save money, for another gun but wanna finish my shot gun too.

I ordered the Hogue 12" LOP and the appropriate Limbsaver slip-on, but returned them to Amazon before I even installed them. At the time, I was thinking I'd install a sling (I've since changed my mind) and noted that the Magpul furniture has more diverse and refined options for slings. Adding to that, I'd read about the increased ergonomic comfort of the Magpul furniture and I decided to go that route--I'm very happy with my (more expensive) decision. However, I never used the Hogue and can't further comment on it.

And finally, someone previously asked for my impressions of the Surefire DSF-500/590 integrated forend light. I don't have much to add here--like I said, I'd recommend that model if it's that type of function you're after. But it weighed down the front end far too much for the spouse to be comfortable with it. It even began to fatigue me after 20-30 rounds. Now, I understand that it's unlikely for me to have to fire off that many in any situation outside of the range, but whatever, I just want the thing to be comfortable.

My biggest gripe (and my friend's) is that there's a little nubbin' on the back of the light, right in front of where your index finger would rest on the forend. It's barely even noticeable when you're just looking at it. But MAN...it sure as hell let's you know it's there when you pull the trigger. The recoil slams that thing back into the first joint on your finger every time unless you choke back 1-2" on the forend. The problem is that there really isn't an inch or two of purchase to choke back. So you end up doing this awkward hold where you're clutching the back end of the forend to preserve your precious digit--again, it's doable in a home defense situation where you'd prefer a light, but more than a little annoying at the range. I think I removed the Surefire that same night. My friend and I both had a fairly ugly bruise around that joint the next day at work. I've seen a few side-mounted solutions I'll investigate if I feel the need to have a light.

Ok, that's enough rambling. Let me know if you need more info/photos.

Thank you for the reference pics sir...its just what i need...looks like not much room to spare for the heatshield or even enuf material to take out if i decide to dremel the insides just to have it fit...

At least thru the pics im gonna make an informed decision...again my thanks..:)

Thanks for posting all of these pictures. They're the first I've seen with the furniture installed on a 590A1.

One question about the stock: Does the new angle of the "pistol grip" affect your manipulation of the safety? It looks as though the new stock may make it more difficult to reach the safety...

I've been going back and forth between Magpul and Hogue, but I think your pictures are pushing me more towards Magpul.

Thanks.

DekNgo said:
Thanks for posting all of these pictures. They're the first I've seen with the furniture installed on a 590A1.

One question about the stock: Does the new angle of the "pistol grip" affect your manipulation of the safety? It looks as though the new stock may make it more difficult to reach the safety...

I've been going back and forth between Magpul and Hogue, but I think your pictures are pushing me more towards Magpul.

Thanks.

There is no pistol grip on his shotty.

I realize that there isn't an actual pistol grip. When I stated "pistol grip," I was referring to the area of the stock that is gripped when firing the weapon. Sorry if there was any confusion.

DekNgo said:

Nope. It feels as though they were designed to work with one another. Holding it like I shoot it, my thumb can comfortably rest in position to manipulate the safety with confidence.

Man I just love the look of that magpul furniture on the 590. Got to get me a set now...... Oh and another 590 or 500 to put it on. Dosent hurt to have options.... Lol. Like to keep my current 590 tactical then have this for when I want a regular SG feel. o_O

Back