• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

6-Shot 590s Discontinued?

Hello all, it appears that Mossberg may have just discontinued ALL 6-shot 590 and 590A1 models.

A search of their website shows no 6-shot models present at all. The 7-shot models seemed to have replaced them. Also, I searched all over the internet for new 6-shot models and can't find anything. I'm specifically looking for a new #51411 590A1 but like I said, it appears the 6-shot guns are a thing of the past now.

Anybody know anything about this? Thanks.

First I've heard of it, but if it holds true, then it's probably because trying to get more rounds than the competition. (pun intended).

Okay guys, I called the Mossberg Service Center today and spoke with a lady on the phone. She told me that YES, ALL of the 6-shot 590/590A1 models are now permanently discontinued. Instead, they have seven shot models out now.

Recently I've been going back and forth on the 18.5 vs 20 590a1 (my first SG). I'm happy to see the 18.5 get an extra round now but I was curious about how the mag tube was extended. I asked support if I could remove what appears to be a +1 extension and replace with mag cap, making it a 6 shot. Response from mossberg as follows:
"The short answer is yes it can be removed and yes the same cap will fit the extension and mag tube." Based on this answer, if you want the pre-7 shot 590/a1, you need to purchase the $14 mag cap accessory and remove the factory extension. Hope this helps.

Ps- first post, hope it's not a mess.

Last edited:
Recently I've been going back and forth on the 18.5 vs 20 590a1 (my first SG). I'm happy to see the 18.5 get an extra round now but I was curious about how the mag tube was extended. I asked support if I could remove what appears to be a +1 extension and replace with mag cap, making it a 6 shot. Response from mossberg as follows:
"The short answer is yes it can be removed and yes the same cap will fit the extension and mag tube." Based on this answer, if you want the pre-7 shot 590/a1, you need to purchase the $14 mag cap accessory and remove the factory extension. Hope this helps.

Ps- first post, hope it's not a mess.

Yes I was just thinking of that. Would one need a new spring as well?

Here's the reps response:
"You shouldn't need a new spring at all given its the same tube, you could however if you chose to, use a small spring with the smaller magazine at this point."
I guess my email wasn't clear enough about whether a shorter spring was needed. either way, you could take the existing spring and cut it down if need be. I would do it in small increments until you find the right tension for cycling shells, otherwise you might be ordering a new spring if it's cut too short.

Here's the reps response:
"You shouldn't need a new spring at all given its the same tube, you could however if you chose to, use a small spring with the smaller magazine at this point."
I guess my email wasn't clear enough about whether a shorter spring was needed. either way, you could take the existing spring and cut it down if need be. I would do it in small increments until you find the right tension for cycling shells, otherwise you might be ordering a new spring if it's cut too short.

Thanks for the news Jtres. It seems like the new 7-shot 590A1s are pretty darn cool, and if one wants, apparently it's fairly easy to go back to the old 6-shot format. Not a bad choice on Mossberg part if you ask me.

Yeah, I agree. I'm having a tough time locating one in my area (easier to find the 20"). I was surprised that they didn't do a +2 extension based on the number of owners I see adding S&J's extension**. I assume mossberg wants to 1)keep it lighter, 2) make it a future feature, or 3) give the 20" a bigger advantage for capacity. My guess is that if there was only a 1 shell difference (and people didn't care about the bayonet feature) - there'd be a small market for the 20".

**I saw a youtube review saying the S&J extension had to be tightened down occasionally. Can anyone speak to this?

I just picked up a 7shot standard 590 recently. It was hard to find them in my area as well and I ended up ordering it online through gallery of guns. I heard from a few local stores that Mossberg was way backordered on 590A1's but that was a month or so ago. I had a great transaction though using gallery of guns, you might wanna give them a shot and see if they even have any in stock.

For what it's worth: Local GS put an order in (assuming from mossberg) for the 18.5 590a1 and it took 3 weeks to get. Planning to pick it up in the next week.

Sorry to hear about your wait but at least the end is in sight. I hope you post up what you think of it (don't forget pics)

**I saw a youtube review saying the S&J extension had to be tightened down occasionally. Can anyone speak to this?

Yes, I was having that problem with my S&J extension. No matter how much I tightened it, running just 25 or 30 snap caps thru with dry fire would loosen it slightly.

I fixed it with a large O-ring. Just slipped one over the top of the mag tube and then installed the S&J extension and tightened it down snuggly. Hasn't come loose again.

One of these O-rings to be exact. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000FMYRLQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Back