• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

6061? 7075?

looking around the interwebz,i see that almost all gun manufactures are using 7075 grade. this is what the U.S military wants in their weapons.so.........being mossberg sells 590a1 shotguns to our military,,,,, :)

Just wondering if the aluminum receivers (590 14" in particular) is 6061 or 7075 grade?

Any particular reason you were wondering? Just curious. I have used 6061 at work in years past but not for anything with any loading. If it helps, all wear items are steel on steel.

b/c any AR-15 receiver that I have owned was 7075, and want to know if Mossberg uses good stuff or not. The fact they don't mention it (never seen it anywhere at least) is a bit odd.

As for 'wear'... see this below on mine. And I only have ~20-30rds thru this gun in 10 years. Assuming it is normal wear.

DSC02764-1.JPG

i can't really tell from the pic, but it looks more like the anodize has been removed, moreso than the aluminum itself.

I don't know what grade Al mossberg uses.

But in all honesty, even 6061 strength properties should exceed what a receiver would normally be subjected to.

If you contact mossberg and they answer, please let us know what they say one way or another.

We use 7075 and 2024 mostly in aircraft 6061 for NON structure members is softer than the others 2024 or 7075 even when heated condition T condition let say T3 to T8 the T is the temper ratings of the hardness of the heating numbers 0 is natural non harden higher the number harder it is..

7075 is stronger and stiffer has some give to it but not a lot it brittle compared to 2024 deals with flex better but easier to bending forces, 6061 is too soft for beaning a load carrying structural member it good for making NON structural mod parts ONLY.

When drilling though theses types of alloys you see and fell the difference in them 7075 normally hard 2024 much easier 6061 gums up your drill bits with aluminum when you drill though thick 6061 you find yourself cleaning your bits allot more often than the other types of aluminums.

All of them are weldable but only one we will weld on is 6061 the others get brittle and crack thats a big no no in aircraft world we dont weld aircraf structues togeter they are riveted weld fail and crack next to the welds.

Finally got a response from Mossberg. I sent them all the info... S/N, model #, pics of box label, when/where I bought it, tons of various pics, etc. etc. I asked if it had the heavy walled bbl or not, and the grade of the alum receiver.

And the response (with my original email quoted below their response)...

"Due to export regulations, we can't export any 14" shotguns."

Seriously. W...T....F. Smokin some weird stuff over there or whaaaaa. :roll:

Mossberg has stated they use aircraft aluminum for their receivers, so it would be either 7000 Series or 2024, definitely not 6061... that's more of a commercial, general-purpose aluminum alloy.

Thanks. Called Mossberg and they had no idea. I then asked them to confirm my 590 14" had a heavy walled barrel... and they replied that all 590's have the standard barrel. Was a waste of time emailing AND calling them. :roll:

Yeah, their CS has been well known to be wonky.

Got another email from a different Mossberg rep. He says my 590 DOES have a heavy walled barrel.

Back