• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

715 questions

Well a local joint here got some interesting flat top models in. They're short is the biggest difference I can see, and they have short "shrouds". I've got a bit of store credit going on and a coupon so getting one would put my out of pocket at about $180. That's cheap enough for a cheap gun and it's more to the point and financially doable than building what I want on a 702 like I did with my bullpup. But I got a couple questions, first...

First, and foremost, the thing is plastic. I just held it for a few minutes so I don't know how well it's made...it just feels like really cheap plastic. Don't read that as a complaint...I'm an advocate of you get what you pay for...but it raises some questions on resiliency. Will the rails hold up to me installing and removing a scope rather frequently? Does the plastic gouge or warp when the clamps are put to it? I do change scopes rather frequently and need to know in advance if I'm going to have to make other arrangements.

Second, and really all I have right now, has anyone managed to clean up the forward area any? Having a long quad rail sounds awesome if I'm going to fill it with accessories...but I'm not. I'm not going to have anything up there...and a rail with nothing on it is just ugly.

I was thinking the same thing when I bought mine. However, after taking off the iron sights a half dozen times, I did not notice any damage to the top rail. Later on, I attached a foregrip that was a slide on as opposed to a clamp. The fit on the foregrip wasn't precise and I had to brute force it on. Taking the grip off and looking at it, I was suprised that the polymer rail actually cut into the grip mount thereby enlarging it. So my guess is you would be fine especially if the scopes have a clamp mount.

Well...it may be moot to know any of it. Eery time I try and buy a gun I get "delayed". By the time they clear me (it always takes them a week or more) they'll all be sold.

makenzie71 said:
Second, and really all I have right now, has anyone managed to clean up the forward area any? Having a long quad rail sounds awesome if I'm going to fill it with accessories...but I'm not. I'm not going to have anything up there...and a rail with nothing on it is just ugly.

Just throwin ideas out there.

Mixed up a few colors of Magpul XTM rail covers on the 10" quad-rail on my midlength 5.56...

These covers are great for hiding empty rail and creating a nice, round contour on the forend...

Back