• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

715T Flash Hiders/Suppressor/Barrel Threading

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
The flat-top models come with a threaded barrel and a flash hider installed, but the carry handle models are not threaded and have no flash hider...

Fair enough, now why do people replace them?

Personal preference I suppose.

Some folks feel the end of the barrel looks naked without a flash hider...

Okay, but if you have a flattop which already has one, why would you replace? I am just trying to understand this gun and customizing a little better.

Ok i want to make sure on this, but when I removed the FH to put a barrel shroud, I noticed that when I screwed on the shroud, the whole barrel turned as well, not alot, but enough to worry me. I read about Rkillions barrel coming off from the receiver completely on a post when attempting to remove the FH. Just concerned if this can cause an issue when a round chambers or will it affect the accuracy when shooting? any recommendations I should do. Here is what mine looks like so far:

B23ADE5E-127E-4380-8CCE-CCA23AFDDE49-4706-000003BF2348DE85.jpg

Re: Mossberg 715T Flash Hiders/Barrel Threading

Rkillion said:
Ok, had an issue, the barrel came loose from the receiver... I guess mine is solid. Oh well going to find a mil style suppressor. The kind with the ring that fits over the birdcage.

But I got lucky and I was able to put the barrel back into place.

Are you having any issues when shooting because the barrel got loose? and does your barrel turn as well? Thanks

You can get those NcStar hiders way cheaper...try Amazon, or someone else posted an ebay link too.

When I installed mine, the fitment was tight, so I lubed the inside and got it set, then tapped it on with a rubber mallet...nice tight fit, the setscrew is not needed at all.

Good luck!!

Is this the fake suppressor you guys are using on your 715s?
http://www.tacticalinc.com/1022sup®sup-fake-suppressorbrfake-silencerbrfont-colorblue-no-adapter-requiredfont-p-551.html
Mine is the carry handle version,un-modified for now.
I want to say i read on here somewhere that theres a fake suppressor thats offered in diff lengths and slides on the barrel pretty far.cant remember where on here i read it though. Im thinking about getting one fairly soon.

Either of those will work. The only difference between them is the length/pattern, so it's up to your preference in which to buy. Just remember, they go on very tight, and the set-screw isn't really needed if put on tight enough. Use a mallet or a hammer with some leather on it to pound it onto the end of the barrel. I tried using the set screw but it just stripped (if you're insistent upon using the set screw, I'd recommend using a different screw all together or at least using a different allan key to tighten it as the one that comes with it tends to strip it quite easily).

~DarthJim

DarthJim said:
Either of those will work. The only difference between them is the length/pattern, so it's up to your preference in which to buy. Just remember, they go on very tight, and the set-screw isn't really needed if put on tight enough. Use a mallet or a hammer with some leather on it to pound it onto the end of the barrel. I tried using the set screw but it just stripped (if you're insistent upon using the set screw, I'd recommend using a different screw all together or at least using a different allan key to tighten it as the one that comes with it tends to strip it quite easily).

~DarthJim

Thanks DarthJim! I kind of figured that, but wanted confirmation on it. I saw that others were using "blue" locktite before using a mallet on it.

Hey guys last weekend i went to my locak "HobbyTown USA" took in my flash hider muzzle brake thing and they found me a steel grub screw that fits my e-bay 10/22 flash hider/muzzle brake.

Mine stripped the first time i put it on (black one) i cut a slot in it and ive been using it that way since i got it but i decided to get a replacement. Hobbytown has alot of little screws and parts for R/C cars and most are pretty good quality little parts. They use titanium and good quality steel and aluminum parts. I wasnt sure if they would have one that would fit and be the same threads and everything but they did. $.10 cents each.

I picked up 4 so i have 3 extras if anyone needs one fire me a PM with an address ill tape one to some paper and shove it into an evelope and drop it in the mail box for ya. I figured at 10 cents ide get a couple extras fo anyone else that stripped theirs out.

I believe the tool im using to tighten them is a 2.5mm and the screw is a 3mm? not for sure though.

Mossberg715Tflashscrew_zps2247d648.jpg

Hey, sorry I haven't gotten back to you until now... Haven't had a chance to get on here. Yes, I got it back into place easily. It clicks when you get it back in place... Well, not so much of a click, but more of metal popping sound, you'll know it when you hear it. I haven't had any issues with grouping, I get about a quarter size group at 75m and about a three quarter size group at 150m.

I also found a good way to get the flash compensator off... Take two three inch long 2x4 boards, vice them together and in the very middle of them use a paddle bit ,(can't remember what size) the same size as your barrel, and drill a hole clean through it. Place your barrel, not your receiver, in the boards and clamp it tightly with a vice. This will give plenty of grip on the barrel without marring it up, or twisting anything. Plus it saves about $50 on one commercially made. I also find that a rubber wrench will get it off if you make it really tight on the compensator.

I did this, and then ended up getting a mock gemtec HALO suppressor, so I put it back on anyways.

If I may add... I too just got my stock A2 flash hinder off today. But u honestly don't have to take down the gun. Lol just heat it up with a blow dryer and use a rubber jar opener and a vise grip and u defiantly will have to use all ur strength to budge that thing but once that happens then ur good to hand unscrew it from there! Good luck I can't wait for my Suppressor to come in now!

I like the stock flash hider on the Flat top version better then the one i got off e-bay for a ruger.

The one on the flat top i think will actually redirect the flash. The ruger one doesnt have the same design so i think its more of a brake the a flash hider.

Also the way the mossberg one is designed it is actually covered on the bottom, it has exhaust ports on the top and sides but not on the bottom so i believe you actually need to twist it back to the same location it was on before you too it off or it may cause the guns accuracy to change.

Well my surppressor came in. And all I had to do was simply screw it on! It looks AWESOME! Is there anyway to post pics using an iPhone? Please help bc I wanna show u guys

BowerR64 said:
Hey guys last weekend i went to my locak "HobbyTown USA" took in my flash hider muzzle brake thing and they found me a steel grub screw that fits my e-bay 10/22 flash hider/muzzle brake.

Mine stripped the first time i put it on (black one) i cut a slot in it and ive been using it that way since i got it but i decided to get a replacement. Hobbytown has alot of little screws and parts for R/C cars and most are pretty good quality little parts. They use titanium and good quality steel and aluminum parts. I wasnt sure if they would have one that would fit and be the same threads and everything but they did. $.10 cents each.

I picked up 4 so i have 3 extras if anyone needs one fire me a PM with an address ill tape one to some paper and shove it into an evelope and drop it in the mail box for ya. I figured at 10 cents ide get a couple extras fo anyone else that stripped theirs out.

I believe the tool im using to tighten them is a 2.5mm and the screw is a 3mm? not for sure though.

You may or may not know this but if you can drill a small indentation into the barrel where the set screw rests it will stay much more secure. I had to do this with my 10/22 as it would keep working loose.

MikeD said:
BowerR64 said:

You may or may not know this but if you can drill a small indentation into the barrel where the set screw rests it will stay much more secure. I had to do this with my 10/22 as it would keep working loose.

Yeah i did that. The first time i took it out it was loose when i got home but it didnt fall out. Then i drilled a little bit into the barrel and it then fit more flush down inside there. It still backs out now and then but its better.

After i cut the barrel i redrilled it and did the same thing but i took better time where i placed it and how far down on the muzzle i mounted it. Im about ready to lock tight it on now. Ive got the crown and everything looking and working good so now it wont need to come off as much as it did before.

Back