• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

835 for turkey and waterfowl?

TracyK

Copper BB
Hello all,
I've been using the same Mossberg 500c in 20g with fixed choke since 1983 for hunting deer, pheasant, squirrel,rabbit.
I was thinking about trying waterfowl and turkey for a change. I found a couple used 835 turkey guns with 24 inch barrel and the old camo pattern for $300 a piece. They look like new and I ry to by used as it saves money and most used firearms are rarely used.
Would one of these meet the needs for turkey and waterfowl? Any choke suggestions and so on would be appreciated.
God Bless
Tracy

They excell at those two types of hunting with the larger shot capacity of the 3.5" shells. You might want a longer barrel for waterfowl as it the added weight makes swing smoother for wing shots.

You will also have the best of both worlds in that by simply swapping the magazine tube with that of one from a 500 you can now use any 500A barrel on your 835. Note you will not be able to shoot 3.5" rounds with these barrels you will be limited to 2.75" or 3" depending on the barrel.

I have an 835 and use it with both the 835 turkey barrel and a 500A slug barrel.

Mike gave you great info on the 835.
When it comes to chokes, I use a Carlson Full in my 500 for waterfowl.

The short answer is yes and Mike covered it pretty well.

I have a 20" 835 for turkey and whatever varmints need shot. It's solid to 40 yards and 50 yards if I'm doin my job. For turkey I am currently using a Carlson's extended ported turkey choke as tight as they make it at .675 and I'm using Winchester 3" LongBeard #6 and getting about 170 pellets in 10" at 40 yards. For other varmints and predators I have a Carlson's coyote choke which I'm pretty sure is .690 though Carlson's has told me a few different things. I really like Winchester 3" heavy weight B but it's been discontinued. I can still buy it but I'm still experimenting. Winchester has a 3" BB which looks promising but I've got to work with chokes a little more to fine tune.

We have a load/choke thread which I'll find and link here.

Also, if you can find that model for $300 I'd be happy with it all day long!

Back