• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

930 JM Pro trigger.

Fumbles

.22LR
Hi folks.... I've been a fairly serious rifle and handgun shooter for over 35yrs..... however.........I'm brand new to shotgun. How sad is that? Why, I don't know. I've always wanted one, but here I'm only getting around to it some 35 years later. I picked up a Mossberg 930 JM Pro, fitted the OR3GUN Competition Combo kit (which is nice stuff) and I am generally enjoying the heck out of shooting it. At some point I will do the loading port mods, lifter weld up, beveling etc. I can't not fiddle with shite. I am considering trying 3 Gun out to see if I like it.

I'm just wondering though. What do 930 JM Pro owners think about the OEM trigger? I've read so much stuff regarding various mods the competition crowd does to these shotguns, this and that, but don't believe I have ever read anything about any trigger mods or even what shooters think of the stock Mossberg triggers.

Is the JM Pro trigger considered good to go out the gate? Do competition shooters modify them.....polish the sears, swap out springs etc etc? I read something someone posted about using a 10/22 hammer spring and cutting 3 coils off it etc but that seemed to have more to do with light primer strikes. Can this be a problem with these triggers?

To be honest, so far my JM Pro trigger feels pretty good to me, for a stock OEM trigger. Pull is +/- 5-1/2 lbs using a non-digital trigger pull gauge. It is otherwise pretty smooth.....take up is short enough, but the break could be a little more crisp. Overtravel is minimal and the reset is more than decent. I was just curious about what the trend is with triggers on comp shotguns, shotgun triggers in general and how folks regard the 930 JM Pro Series trigger. I understand that the idea of doing trigger mods to self defense firearms can be a hotly debated issue but I'm not really interested in that here. Mostly about shotgun trigger info regarding competition and general sport shooting.

It has occurred to me that given the "stress" of competition, run and gun type stuff etc, one might not really even want a lightened trigger.

Anyway, any information will be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Most of the 930 action happens in the 930 forum, so you might get minimal exposure to your question here.

The 930's trigger is one of the best out of the box for a shotgun. The JM Pro version has the addition of an overtravel adjustment with the set screw. It also has a Boron Nitrided hammer, so with some good grease it is pretty free from creep and grit. The spring change tends to cause as many issues as it solves, so keep the triger group clean and lubed and you should be good to go.

William

http://www.OR3GUN.com

@Fumbles I moved this to the 930 forum hoping you might get some more feedback here.

Back