• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

930 security model FTE, only fitting 4 2 3/4" in it also!

Stoop14

.22LR
I just went out to test the function of my 930 I was just shooting the cheap Wally world federal #8 shot. I started with 5 3" slugs then 5 2 3/4" 00 buck. Then I went rapid fire as fast as I could pull the trigger and had 2 FTE with 40 rounds of the cheap stuff. Is this normal or is there some tweaking I could do? Also I was only able to fit 4 2 3/4 shells in the mag tube. When i took apart to i noticed this wear on the mag tube where the red spring is in the barrel gas port
img0124bl.jpg
is this wear normal for 50 rounds? Just a break in of the blueing?

Re: 930 security model FTE, only fitting 4 2 3/4" in it also

Federal Target load is very reliable ammunition, with autoloaders being an exception imo. Being such light loads, its not surprising you had a couple FTE. Being so light, they don't produce enough energy to cycle the action. I am no expert on autoloaders by any means so don't take my words as indisputable truth. I do believe the wear your seeing is normal however.

Is this a brand new 930? Did you clean out all the factory gunk and relube it?

Look at all the 930/930spx posts...you may need to readjust the Piston Spring, that's causing the mag tube scoring.

You should be able to run that bulk Wally world stuff all day long.

gmaster456 said:
Well I stand corrected. Wouldn't be the first time :cry:

So far the majority of the 930/930spx don't having any issues with the 1200fps + Wally world bulk stuff. My Benelli M1 Super 90 Tactical won't run that stuff.

Do you just stick the socket in there and kinda twist it around in the spring? Ya the stuff I was shooting was 1200fps, think it just needs to be broke in more with heavier stuff?

I had problems with my 930 when I first started shooting light loads. It needs to be cleaned out good when you first get it. Mine cycled 3" turkey loads with no problems but would not return to battery and would frequently fail to eject the hull when shooting light skeet loads. My problem occured in cold weather when the oil would start to thicken. Since cleaning good it I've not had any issues.

I take the gas piston out and put the socket in the gas piston side and rock the socket to move the spring assembly in the direction of the scoring. Then I put the piston back and see if the socket sides thru without much resistence, repeat if necessary. Make sure you smooth out the scoring with oil and 00 steel wool.

Run the wear area wet with oil for a while. Hope it works for you.

The socket outter diameter should just fit with little play. Read my review and issues of my SPX

http://www.mossbergowners.com/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=2202

I use the Federal Target load which is rated @1290 fps and I won't shoot anything lower the this, my 930 is a Home Security model also, I've too have the scoring on the mag tube. As SoCal mentioned about putting a deep socket into the spring area to line up the spring, it works I have never shot my 930 as a H/S model I brought all the parts to make it a SPX before shooting it so I can't comment on the stock capacity of the H/S but I never had a FTE.

So far I’ve had no trouble shooting the Wal-Mart 100 shell value pack. Make sure when shooting the low brass birdshot you keep the gun held tight into your shoulder. I also shoot nothing less than 1200fps loads.

I havent had a chance to get out again, any other suggestions?

Hey ... also on the only 4 in magazine tube thing ... I am pretty sure that's all the non-SPX models will fit. My new 930 Breacher will only do 4+1 and I tried three different brands / load types ... only 4 in the magazine tube. A quick check of the Mossberg website confirms that you can only get 4+1 in the "standard" 18.5" barrel models and 7+1 in the SPX.

Back