• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

930 spx arrived today

hummerbk

Copper BB
My new 930 SPX arrived today and following advice on this board I dissassembled and cleaned it before heading out to the desert to shoot it.
It works great but I can only get six shells in it. I'm using 2 3/4 shells. When I try to load the seventh it stops about a half inch short.
When I got home I measured the magazine spring and its about 35 inches.This dosen't make sense to me. Why won't it take the last shell?

While I was waiting for a reply I did alot of reading and found that all 2 3/4 shells are not the same. I can fit seven Winchester shells but only six Federal slugs. All is well.

Congrats on the new 930 SPX and welcome to the forum!
I load 4 Hornady Critical Defense 2 3/4" 8 pellet 00 buck and 3 Federal 2 3/4" Tru-Ball slugs. I use an S&J Hiviz follower with the spring guide post and all 7 fit with no binding :)
Seven of just the Hornady 00 buck fit with more room to spare :D

I am not sure about this SPX model but there is probably a wooden dowel in the shell tube.....have a look in the manual.

There was no wooden dowel. It was just shell length. The shells I was using were about 1/8th inch longer which limited me to six.

I use Remington shells exclusively in my 930 SPX and that’s only because they are readily available at my locale Wal-Mart. My magazine spring is 35 ¼ and I can load 7 in the magazine tube with Remington 00 buckshot, 1oz slug or even the Remington 100 shell low brass value pack. Next time your at Wal-Mart pick up some Remington shells to see if you can load 7. Good luck and keep us posted.

hummerbk said:
... It works great but I can only get six shells in it. I'm using 2 3/4 shells. When I try to load the seventh it stops about a half inch short.

Were you trying to load RIO brand 2 3/4" ammo? :?:

As you have already found out, some manufacturers' shells are a bit longer than the standard and that little extra times six prevents the last shell from loading in the mag tube...

Get yourself a box of Remington low brass birdshot, if you still can only load 6 then your spring is to long . Call Mossberg and have them send you a new spring, I would not do any trimming to your current spring until you get a new one from Mossberg, then only cut off one coil at a time.

If you were only able to load 5 then that tells me the follower is hanging up on the magazine extension, but in your case with 6 shells in the gun you are past the transition area between the end of the magazine tube and the start of the extension.

If you laid your gun on the floor then under the magazine tube starting at the chamber, lined up 7 shells end to end you would see how little space that 35” spring has to be compressed, any little kink in the coils could cause the spring not to compress uniformly.

Back