• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

930 SPX Blackwater Review/Issues

Well I hope you take a couple hundred shells with you and put the SPX thru some serious fun range time. I want you to go out there and try to break it, because your shoulder should beg for mercy before your SPX does. At least mine does every time I go to the range, mine has been very good to me and I hope yours does. I sure would like to hear that you are happy and confident in your SPX.

Thanks megawatt. Out of curiosity, what shells do you typically use at the range? I'm wondering if the cheap WalMart stuff isn't such a good idea, although I'd like to not break the bank with more expensive buckshot all the time if I don't have to.

Hope you do not mind if I jump in but I've put approximately 400 rounds of the Remington low brass 100 shell value pack stuff through my 930 SPX. I get the 100 shell value pack at Wal-Mart for around $25.00. I’ve had zero malfunctions with this 1200 fps load. I’ve shot my share of 00 buck and 1oz slugs but for fun shooting I shoot the Remington low brass birdshot. You will find that the 930 will go through 100 shells before you know it. Good Luck and have fun.

930Blackwater said:
Thanks megawatt. Out of curiosity, what shells do you typically use at the range? I'm wondering if the cheap WalMart stuff isn't such a good idea, although I'd like to not break the bank with more expensive buckshot all the time if I don't have to.

8d3d538b.jpg

I always have at least a 7.5 or 8 shot target value pack with me and they can be lead or steel shot. RIO 00B also makes the rip to the range with me because they are about the least expensive "training grade" shells. The only low recoil stuff I use on a typical range day is slugs, only becuase I typically setup on a 25yd range. I keep the full power slugs for when I move to the sillouette range and play with the iron targets that are over 100yds away. This is pic is typically what is on the table when I shoot, my car is parked ten feet away and holds the other shells.

IMG_0418.jpg

The cheap Wal mart stuff is good target, training, general blasting stuff. Buy all you can and keep in practice.
69d55e31.jpg

So I've had a chance now to fire my 930 twice since I've gotten it back from Mossberg. First time was only 25 Walmart Target loads and 5 #4 Magnum Buckshot. No issues. Second time was 50 Walmart Target loads and another 5 #4 Magnum Buck. Only thing I noticed is when I let a friend fire it for the first time, one round didn't chamber from the tube, but I wouldn't really call it a jam. It's almost like he did the equivalent of limp wristing it, if you can do that with a shot gun. When I fired I experienced no problems. It appears to be preforming better, and of course the most important thing is that the stock was replaced. I'll continue to update my experiences especially if I start running into issues again.

Back