• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

930 SPX magazine spring "plug"

The Annoyed Man

Copper BB
I have a model 930 SPX (pistol grip version). This evening, I disassembled it for basic maintenance; and while reassembling it, the magazine spring got away from me. Not a problem that it got away from me, except that when it did, there’s a little white plastic mushroom-shaped "plug" that fits into the muzzle end of the magazine spring, presumably as a buffer between the end of the spring and the inside of the magazine extension, that got launched into low earth orbit, and I can’t find it anywhere.

I reassembled the gun without that white plastic plug, so that the spring is now in direct contact with the inside of the magazine extension. Other than the wearing of the steel spring on the inside of the end of the extension tube, I can’t imagine that it would interfere with the gun's operation. But, I’d prefer to put the thing back together correctly. The problem is that I can’t find that part listed in any of the schematics I’ve seen on either the Mossberg website or in the owner's manual; so I can’t replace it if I don’t find mine.

A. Does anyone know if this is a problem? And...

B. Does anyone know what this part is called, and where I can find one?

Hi TAM!

My SPX never had that part.
Papaw! I didn’t know you were a member here. I commented last night on a YouTube video by Northwoods Renaissance where he talks about takedown and maintenance of the 930 SPX. His didn’t have the plug either, and he said it came from the factory that way. The only thing I can figure is that it’s a tiny upgrade that keeps the muzzle end of the magazine spring from binding against the inside of the end of the extension tube, so that it can rotate along its axis more easily when under tension......although I can’t figure out why that would be necessary.

I'm the one that pointed you this way back when you first bought that 590A1, remember?

I can't imagine why that part would be needed, either.

I purchased a new Mossberg 930 SPX pistol grip 2 weeks ago, mine has the white plastic mushroom on the spring, I believe it is there to help keep the spring from binding. Also my stock spring was 36 inches long which seems a bit much, I purchased a Wolff extra power spring off eBay sold by Northwoods outpost of MN, the spring is pre cut to 26 1/2 inches, I contacted the guy at Northwoods to make sure it was correct and he says the Wolff spring at that length should be correct as it is more heavy duty, it seems to have good tension but I won't be able to try the gun for a while, anyone else try this or have any input?

Back