• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

930 Tactical HD: GTG?

Tomac

Love my Mossy Shockwave, but have always had a hankering for a semi-auto.
I like the price/specs/looks of the 930 Tactical HD (can pick one up NIB for $399 shipped), am leery of the reported 930 problems but haven't been able to find much on the 7+1 930 Tactical HD.
I won't be running 3-gun or jumping out of helicopters w/it, but want it reliable enough to pinch-hit for HD if needed, maybe take the occasional class.
Won't be adding much to it; sidesaddle, sling & a light.

So, for those who know, is the 930 Tactical HD gtg?
TIA!...

Tomac

I want one too and $399 sounds like a very good price.

The issues I’m most aware of have centered around low brass/light/target loads. I have no idea if it’s still a problem. There are aftermarket cures, which no one ever wants to have to do with a new gun.

@OR3GUN may be able to give a better answer, or any of our other guys still using 930s?

I don't necessarily want to change your mind, but I wanted to share my experience with my most recent semi shotgun purchase. It's a Turkish import marketed as the Emperor Arms and the model is the MX5. There are a few variants, but the one I am referring to has a 20 inch barrel, interchangeable chokes (Comes with a breaching choke and a cylinder choke which is intended for HD).

That gun has been very reliable regardless of what kind of shells that I use in it, and is built well too. The price we got ours for was nothing short of the deal of the year for me.

There is a topic about it here if you are interested in reading through it: http://www.mossbergowners.com/forum...be-true-semi-auto-12-gauge.18055/#post-254061

John you mentioned the 20” barrel. That jogs my memory and I think, correct me if I’m wrong, some of the cycling problems with the 930 have been associated with or attributed to the shorter 18” barrel?

I honestly don't remember.

The shorter you go though, the less dwell time there is with any gas operated gun. The MX5 eats everything like candy and it's only 20 inches long. If anything, it cycles a little bit hard with high brass and magnum loads due to either the light spring or large gas ports or a combination of either.

But much to my delight, it cycles all of them, albeit being a little rough using the hot loads.

Yes, shorter than the 20”. OR3GUN had some really good videos on this and the exact cause of the failures.

I have a 2016 JM Pro which is a 930 with a trigger mod, a 24 in barrel and a mag tube extension.
I bought it for HD but shoot it a lot at my club for sleet and sporting clays.
For skeet a use the Winchester white box extra light target loads
... never a problem...
I read you have to keep it clean so I do.... it does get dirty so I can see how 300 to 400 rounds could gun things up (like it would any other gas operated semi) but in an afternoon of sleet shooting I usually shoot 200 rounds or less and so have never had a FTF.. anyway...love my 930... get one.

I have 2 SPXs, no issues. I would highly recommend OR3Gun's Enhanced Field Combo, as it offers a bit of flexibility in spring compression, along with the Marine Spacer tube, etc.. Use dry lube, it solves many problems, too.

You can't beat $399 for the 930 Tactical. That's a screaming deal for an autoloader built in the US. Add a couple of reliability upgrades (MST, CSP, ASR), tune the recoil system for your loads and keep it clean. You'll be good to go.

We saw a LOT of shotguns (over 100) this last weekend and all makes/models of autoloaders had issues in the desert heat. Most were due to the hulls just getting too hot sitting in the sun and hanging up in the chambers. Running good shells when it counts and keeping the gun maintained are also key to reliability.

William

http://www.OR3GUN.com

The heat.... it can be something to deal with. Yesterday i was taking a few pics of my AK and after 4 minutes in the sun my iPhone shut off due to temperature. The camera was in my hands not laying out on the concrete.

You can't beat $399 for the 930 Tactical. That's a screaming deal for an autoloader built in the US. Add a couple of reliability upgrades (MST, CSP, ASR), tune the recoil system for your loads and keep it clean. You'll be good to go.

We saw a LOT of shotguns (over 100) this last weekend and all makes/models of autoloaders had issues in the desert heat. Most were due to the hulls just getting too hot sitting in the sun and hanging up in the chambers. Running good shells when it counts and keeping the gun maintained are also key to reliability.

William

http://www.OR3GUN.com
I just purchased the competition combo for my SPX. Mine didn't come with a barrel clamp. Is this something that's really necessary?

I just purchased the competition combo for my SPX. Mine didn't come with a barrel clamp. Is this something that's really necessary?
For a range toy, no. Your mag tube has 2 weak points- the threads at the receiver and where the extension screws on. Hit the extension hard enough, and you'll crimp the tube, or, more likely, split it at the threads. The tube can crimp, if it isn't tightened down against the barrel ring (firmly).

Personally, I've only seen it on an 870 and a Benelli S-1 Tactical, both PD guns. I've heard of it from the same smith that fixed the two I saw, on multiple guns, multiple makes, over his years as an armorer. I know guys on the Enos Forum report it when dropping guns into the barrel, during a match. Pretty much a once-done and never-again event.:D

Back