• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

930 vs 590 recoil

ekaphoto

Copper BB
I have a 590 but am thinking of getting a 930 for less recoil and a couple medical issues. What is the recoil difference between the two?

I can say that semi-autos, seem to feel like they have softer recoil to me. Probably due to the main spring and such. However, "softer" is highly subjective.

Switching to a smaller shell may be more beneficial. Instead of 12 gauge, maybe try a 20?

Or using handicap/low brass loads. Which is largely what I use these days because I too have some health issues that I have to deal with. So, if I can mitigate some of the kick, I'll try to.

Definitely less recoil with the semi automatic M930. Having said that all of the above suggestions are valid.
Also the M500 is easier to disassemble, clean and reassemble.
BA163007-7B0D-4369-86BE-E699F71BD53F.jpeg

You also might try some of the Mini Shells made by Federal and Aguila. With the OPSol Mini Clip, they will reliably feed. They have much less recoil and still pack a good punch at house distances. If you want to shoot 2 3/4" shells, just pop out the Mini Clip. I have a couple shotguns set up for the Aguila Minis and they shoot very well. I am thinking about trying some of the 7 1/2's out on tree rats this summer.

I ran across a 935 used that had a choat barrel extention and the barrel cut to about 20", just what I was looking for. I test fired it with oo buck and bird shot, both 2 3/4. It would not cycle the bird shot so I ordered the part from or3gun we will see what it gets here. More plesant to shoot than my 590.

The or3gun parts will help you tune it. I only use my 935 for turkey hunting so I left it stock but I run or3gun parts in my 930 snd its been flawless

I ran across a 935 used that had a choat barrel extention and the barrel cut to about 20", just what I was looking for. I test fired it with oo buck and bird shot, both 2 3/4. It would not cycle the bird shot so I ordered the part from or3gun we will see what it gets here. More plesant to shoot than my 590.
I have the OR3Gun components in my 935 and it does birdshot fine.

got the part last night and installed it. I am not sure the previous owner ever fired it. Funny thing, it has a choat extension tube but the stock follower. I was considering getting an aftermarket follower but upon disassembly the choat follower came out the extension tube so now I can get 7 in the tube instead of 6 and it is easier to load.

Back