• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

9mm ammo

GunnyGene

Racist old man
BANNED
Ok, I've been trying out a variety of ammo for my new SR9E for the past few weeks, and based on the ballistic gel and barrier penetration tests I've watched, as well as how they shoot in my gun, I've picked 2. One for target practice, and one for SD. I know there are many other choices out there, but these seemed to be a reasonably representative collection.

Here's what I've tried out and researched:

Winchester White box 115 gr. FMJ
Hornady 115 gr. XTP
Hornady 124 Gr +P XTP
Hornady 135 gr +P Critical Duty
Speer 147 gr. Gold Dot JHP

I had no issues with accuracy, feed, or eject with any of the above.

I've settled on the Hornady 135 gr +P Critical Duty for SD/HD due to it's superior penetration over the others, even tho it has a slightly smaller expansion than the other JHP's, and is reasonably priced with my mil discount.

For target practice the Winchester 115 gr. FMJ because it's really easy on the wallet and didn't give me any reason to reject it.

Choice #1 is one of the best SD/HD rounds out there...

I carry the Hornady Critical Defense .45ACP 185 grain FTX in my EDC weapon. With a muzzle velocity of around 1000 fps...it packs a punch.

And while some claim that Choice #2 can run dirty ( fouling ) in their firearms...I have no problem running Winchester FMJ ( any caliber ) in any of my firearms.

As you said...it is usually cheap range fodder.

Choice #1 is one of the best SD/HD rounds out there...

I carry the Hornady Critical Defense .45ACP 185 grain FTX in my EDC weapon. With a muzzle velocity of around 1000 fps...it packs a punch.

And while some claim that Choice #2 can run dirty ( fouling ) in their firearms...I have no problem running Winchester FMJ ( any caliber ) in any of my firearms.

As you said...it is usually cheap range fodder.

There is a significant design difference between the Critical Defense and the Critical Duty. Have you done a comparison? The Duty has a denser core, which results in better penetration and in 9mm it's 135 gr, vs 124 gr for the Defense. I imagine the .45 bullets would have similar differences.

Nothing wrong with your choices.

Long as they run well in your gun, they'll get the job done.

Copy that Gunny...have both flavors !!

Use the Critical Duty in my 9mm's ...Critical Defense in my .45's.

Duty is better for barrier penetration.

I collect Specialty SD Carry Ammo Hollow Points...mostly in .45ACP...but have it in other calibers as well.

Off the top of my head...

Winchester Black Talon
Kaswer Pin Grabbers
Cor Bon JHP
Cor Bon DPX
Hornady TAP FPD
Hornady Critical Duty
Hornady Critical Defense
Hornady Zombie Max
Federal Hydra-Shoks
Federal Guard Dog
Remington Golden Sabre
Remington Ultimate Defense
Winchester Silver Tips
Winchester PDX1 Defender
Winchester Ranger LE
PMC Eldorado Starfire
Speer Gold Dot
MagSafe Defender
MagSafe SWAT
MagTech First Defense
Glaser Blue Safety Slugs
Glaser Silver Safety Slug
Nosler Defense
Buffalo Bore Low Flash
Grizzly Premium SD Ammo
Pow'R Ball Proven SD Ammo
Dynamic Research Technologies Frangible
Double Tap SD Ammo
Liberty Civil Defense +P
Liberty HALO Point
ASYM Precision LE/SD Ammo
TAC OPS Solid Copper HP
Thunder Ranch +P
HPR Black OPS
SIG Sauer Elite Performance V-Crown

...and the list goes on.

Copy that Gunny...have both flavors !!

Use the Critical Duty in my 9mm's ...Critical Defense in my .45's.

Duty is better for barrier penetration.

I collect Specialty SD Carry Ammo Hollow Points...mostly in .45ACP...but have it in other calibers as well.

Off the top of my head...

Winchester Black Talon
Kaswer Pin Grabbers
Cor Bon JHP
Cor Bon DPX
Hornady TAP FPD
Hornady Critical Duty
Hornady Critical Defense
Hornady Zombie Max
Federal Hydra-Shoks
Federal Guard Dog
Remington Golden Sabre
Remington Ultimate Defense
Winchester Silver Tips
Winchester PDX1 Defender
Winchester Ranger LE
PMC Eldorado Starfire
Speer Gold Dot
MagSafe Defender
MagSafe SWAT
MagTech First Defense
Glaser Blue Safety Slugs
Glaser Silver Safety Slug
Nosler Defense
Buffalo Bore Low Flash
Grizzly Premium SD Ammo
Pow'R Ball Proven SD Ammo
Dynamic Research Technologies Frangible
Double Tap SD Ammo
Liberty Civil Defense +P
Liberty HALO Point
ASYM Precision LE/SD Ammo
TAC OPS Solid Copper HP
Thunder Ranch +P
HPR Black OPS
SIG Sauer Elite Performance V-Crown

...and the list goes on.

Doesn't that get very confusing? ;)

Not really...

Like I said...I collect them...test them...carry them...then move on to the next latest & greatest.

( ...and that's a partial list that spans decades !! )

image.jpg image.jpg

Wanted to know if anyone had any experience with the Winchester 9mm ammo above. Bought it about 6 months ago and haven't tested it yet...it's pretty pricey. Up around $1.10/round.

Thanks Gunny. It seems that the PDX1 ammo tests and rates well. About 1000fps and penetration and expansion are pretty respectable.

What's the muzzle velocity on that John? My Jericho 941 is not rated for +P ammo. However I've heard others say that it's probably ok with 9mm but not with the .40 cal.

I don't really know. I don't have a chrony.

However, they ping the steel with authority.

I have spoken with several different factory reps concerning the use of it in various handguns.

Beretta says the +P+ is a no go in the Centurion because it exceeds Saami max, which it does, but

Ruger said it would be OK in limited use and not a steady diet in the P85 as long as it was from a respectable ammo manufacturer,

And CZ also said it was OK in limited use for the 75, although to expect increased wear rates resulting from it.

I wouldn't consider using it in my Storm Lake 9mm conversion barrel in my XD for the simple matter that the extractor is for a .40 rather than a 9x19, so...

And they would be SMOKIN' out of the M10/9 with 8 inch barrel, and I don't know what they be doing out of the 16" uzi. That one may actually surpass critical mass LOL.

^^^^:D The longer the barrel...the longer the burn!!

Yeah, usually.

I would expect it would be at least in the 1500 fps range or more.

I'm sold on the federal HST for its projectile. Couple weeks ago I did some reloads with pulldown I got. And shot them over a chronograph. 10 shot average velocity, out of my SR9 for factory Federal HST was 1090 feet per second. 10 shot average velocity, for my reloads with Power Pistol was 1080. I keep the mag loaded with factory ammo for legal, and liability reasons. But will be loading and storing reloads for just in case.

Also I have ran hundreds of rounds of Wolf steel case 115 grain though it with no adverse side effects.

Just my $.02

What legal reasons are you talking about?

I understand the liability reasons in case of a bad charge or seat, but legal reasons?

Ive not researched it. Only going off of heresay, but apparently using handloaded ammo in a self defence situation, can be considered intent to kill, or possibly premeditated murder. Could just be an Indiana thing. So until i can reasrch it myself. ill just stick with factory ammo. I'll load SD rounds to store, because if i burn up that much factory ammo, i dont think laws will be applicable anymore.

I've never heard of a case where a reloader's ammo was used to put them behind bars.

Back