• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

a different Mossberg 500

zoner

hi......i recently picked up another Mossberg 500 with a mag tube/barrel lug i have not seen before. The mag tube itself is threaded outside, the "ring" on the barrel lug fits OVER the mag tube instead of being the same OD as the tube and the barrel nut threads on like a cap as opposed to the barrel nut having a threaded stud and threading into the cap on the mag tube. the end of the mag tube is open,if you shine a light in the tube you can see the spring and follower retained by some kind of clip inside the end of the tube. Never seen this setup before....will try to post some pics and would welcome some input....IMAG0114.jpg IMAG0115.jpg IMAG0114.jpg IMAG0115.jpg IMAG0114.jpg IMAG0115.jpg

That is the 590/835 style mag tube and cap set-up.

Check the model number roll marks on the bottom side of the receiver in front of the loading port. You may have an old 590, though some 500 models use the 590 mag tubes...

Aha....mystery solved(i can't believe how dumb i am at times)....a.look at the bottom of the reciever says 835.....thanks for waking me up Sniper

i'm planning on this gun being a HD weapon.....after all i only have 2 twelve ga HD guns now. I'm thinking wood furniture with parked metal and a tritium bead. I guess i better hunt down a 835 barrel, hopefully i can find a inexpensive 835 beater barrel to cut down.....Mike

Glad I could help.

Shouldn't be too difficult to track down an 835 barrel. Keep us posted...

i think i'm gonna go the other way....the 835 barrels are heavy and more expensive so i already pulled the 835 mag tube and am looking around for a 5 shot 500 tube,then will go with a 500 barrel. It'll end up a 835 reciever and action slide/forend with a 500 magazine and barrel

i picked up a Mossberg 500 5 shot mag tube the other day. Screwed it into the 835 reciever then took a Mossberg 500 barrel off another gun and it fit the 835 reciever perfectly...so now i'm looking for a Mossy 500 barrel to finish up this shotty,a used 18 1/2" or a bird huntin barrel to cut down. Just wood stocks and a 18 1/2 " barrel, no "tactical goodies", although i may install a tritium bead. This shotty will be on duty at my house in Apache Junction, AZ

the 500 has a LOT more options barrel wise.....i'll post some pics when i'm done, still need a barrel and a wood buttstock, takin my time loooking for bargains etc. Not in a big hurry....my Mossy 500 and my Ithaca 37 will keep the homestead safe while i'm puttin this one together:cool:

Being your close to Carson's, I'd give him a call and see what he has around the shop. (cheap);)

DON CORSON
2124 PAWNEE DR.
KINGMAN, AZ 86401
928-718-4282

Mossberg Serial Numbers

thanks for the heads up.....i don't live in Apache Junction, just own a new single-wide park model mobile home there. My place is at Sunrise Robert's Resorts there.....i only go there in the winter. My main residence is San Diego,CA

Back