• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

A "Different" Range Report

Paul605

Yesterday I spent 6 hours as the rangemaster at the local sportsmen's club rang. It is open to the public twice weekly and all the masters call a very tight line.

Close to the end of the day, I had a dad, mom and two teenaged daughters show up. They had two brand new 9mm semi-auto pistols. None had shot before. Their entire thought process was home defense. See the problem I was presented with?

Three hours later, as the daylight was going away...we had five of my weapons ready for a good cleaning. Both of their weapons in the same state of dirty. We had talked at great length about the need for more training...both physical and mental. The ladies fully understood that their likely assailants would be someone they knew...likely not a stranger. We had dispelled the myth of long-range/clean defense. I had planted the seeds of the thought process that has to take place constantly...for the use of deadly force. Sadly, South Dakota does not have a "stand-your-ground" statute or a "domicile" statute. We had talked extensively about identifying a target...

I bet I said, "Get your finger out of the trigger guard." over 20 times...and I had adjusted stances and positions more times than I could count. The youngsters truly thought "sideways gangster" was the way to go...gawd I hate hollywood and social media...

We went indoors and cleaned their weapons...taught them how...more importantly taught them how to verify an unloaded weapon that was ready to clean... More talk and more mental work...

I pray they are back next Sunday for some more time with me...

wow 2 teenage daughters doing the sideways gangsta shooting? Really?!
This was a complete raw start performed "on necessity"... I only got them enough training to keep them safe really... They HAVE to come back...or find some other competent training.

Back