• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

A few antiques and other blades...

CaddmannQ

.50 BMG
This is a good deal of my interesting knives. I have a few others I'll post up too. Also an old brass hunting telescope, probably 100 years old now. I Got it in Duluth in 1967, in the trunk of a used car we bought.

The Kabar look-a-like is actually a USN MK-2 by Camillus, made in Camillus, NY. My dad carried it in the Navy in WW-II & it rode under the seat of his car for my whole childhood.

The little brown 2-blade jackknife is Dad's old Schrade, made in Utica NY in the 1930's I believe.

These knives are dirty and scarred and remain just the way I got them, save a bit of oil every few years and the rare rub on Dad's old Arkansas oilstone.

The tiny blade is a new one made for me by my nephew. He makes knives and teaches industrial arts in a prison.

The white handled jackknife is a Bear LB-5 folding hunter with custom scrimshaw of a Husky dog. It's marked Solingen Stainless 440 & was a present from my wife. It's only 20 years old.

The big brown jackknife is a Buck 110, from 1972. I customized the handle and the blade and bolsters were photo engraved by a friend. I'm not showing the engraved side of the blade for personal reasons.)

blades.jpg

Man these could all use a good polishing!

(The short mag is from the Mossberg 353T, and the long one is from my Ruger MK-III pistol.)

Last edited:
The Schrade, my old scout knife from 1963, & The MK-2 in it's fiberglass sheath. (Were the Army ones leather?)

DSCF8890.jpg

You can still read the hallmarks.

DSCF8894.jpg

I've had the Cub Scout knife 52 years. It cost Mom her cigarette money for the week, which was about $3 back then. The years have taken quite a toll, with cracked plastic and missing rivet, but the Camillus hallmark is still clear.

DSCF8891.jpg

The "commemorative" Ghost Rider knife, which I suppose commemorates a mediocre action movie with nice motorcycles by a nice blade in a mediocre diecast potmetal handle. I would make a straight knife from this one with manzanita and brass handle, but it was a present from my lovely wife who probably got ripped off when she bought it. It stays in the jewelry box for special occasion wear.

DSCF8896.jpg
DSCF8895.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you Sniper. These are curiosities at best. Nothing exotic or rare.

I don't have any really expensive knives except my kitchen knives. I've been cooking for many years, and at some point I dropped $800 on a set of Cutco knives with cleaver and shears and matching steak knives. Very sturdy knives, but not very interesting to look at.

I have a couple more I'll dig out from the truck and the bike, plus I'd like to post some more of the old telescope.

Nice collection I like the wolf head on the folder.

Not quite a halberd, but I picked up this "tactical tomahawk" today at Tractor Supply co.
Chinese of course, but 440 stainless and powdercoated pretty well.

14" long with 4" wide blade & 3" spear point.

toma2.jpg

Needs more rope on the handle, but it chops thru plywood like a champ. ;)

I started re-braiding the tomahawk handle last night. I put 4 strands of forest green along the handle then wrapped the whole thing tight, done just like a nail-knot would be. Then I went over the top with black and light camo cords in a Solomon's Sword-handle wrap, which not quite done in this fuzzy, sideways photo I shot with the new smartphone about 2AM. :rolleyes:

I wrapped the head in leather & clamped it in a vise which makes it much easier to make tight knots.

tommahawkbraid01.jpg

I'll finish this tight & then wrap a dark camo turk's-head at the top of the handle, and a lanyard at the bottom with crown knots.

Late last night...

tactom.jpg

Wrap finished, lanyard braid finished, and stop knots (false turk's head) tied on lanyards.
stopknot.jpg

Still need the turk's head on the shaft, and it'll have to be doubled to be large enough compared to the braid on the shaft.
In other words, I'll tie one on the shaft, then tie a bigger one right over it.

I bought a few Camillus knife blades from a company called Gunblack. I'm in the process of putting a cocobolo handle on one. It's a pilot's survival knife coated black from them.
I need to dig it out of my pile of to do things on the shelf...

But...at the moment I'm making new grips for a crkt out of bocote...

I noticed the transfer punches on your bench. Are you a toolmaker by trade?

I've never owned a set of transfer punches, but I've made them on the fly before.
I made some recently when I replaced the wood pickets on my metal gate. I didn't want to drill new holes in the metal so I made transfer punches to mark the new boards.

OK, here's the double turk's head in green, laced over the regular turk's head to fatten things up. I may want to do a triple over that one to make it even bigger.
The idea is that it will prevent my hand from sliding up into contact with the head.

hawkknot2.jpg

I noticed the transfer punches on your bench. Are you a toolmaker by trade?

I've never owned a set of transfer punches, but I've made them on the fly before.
I made some recently when I replaced the wood pickets on my metal gate. I didn't want to drill new holes in the metal so I made transfer punches to mark the new boards.

No sir...carpenter. I use the punches for making grips. Pistol grips, knife grips. Gunstocks. Ear wax removal...you know...the usual stuff.

Yeah, the grips are very nice.

I bought some cheap jack knife just for the blade. Neat little blade and good steel, but the handles are crap.

Anyhow, I'll be making something for it, for my own amusement.

Last edited:
I had this on the boat. It's a 1967 Normark Filet by Fiskars of Finland. I bought it at the Fresno Sunnyside Swap Meet in 1976.

20160119_071533.jpg

20160119_071355.jpg
Recent heavy rains caved in the tarp over my boat, causing me to rescue everything, and this one was green on the pomnel, with mold on the scabbard.

After some elbow grease it looks OK for 49 year old knife. :)

Last edited:
Back